Home Technical Talk

3ds or Modo

guitarguy00
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys,

I'm currently using 3DS Max(used to use Maya) and am contemplating switching to Modo. I really like some of Max's functions and features(the amount of modifiers available, the non-destructiveness of the stack, being able to rotate out of the locked orthographic views without having to switch camera etc) but there are some elements that completely boggle the mind! The standard navigation is not ideal and there is no viable alternative(ie Maya controls in Max prevents you from deselecting) and it seems like Modo has some great selection tools, mesh fusion, rounded edge shader, fast performance and context-sensitive hotkeys. But it doesn't seem to have close to the amound of modifiers/functions that Max has like spherify, shell and doesn't have a non-destructive stack at all.

So to those who have tried both programs, what do you think of them? I have seen threads comparing Maya to Modo or Blender to Modo but not many comparing 3DS to Modo for some reason. Does Modo's features over Max compensate for it's deficits? I played around with Modo a bit and it does remind me more of Maya than Max. I feel not having the non-destructive modifier stack would be hard to get used to? What are the pros/cons of each? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks heaps

Replies

• WilliamVaughan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WilliamVaughan greentooth
    I havent used Max since the 90s so I cant share any insight into that for you but I did want to mention that MODO does have a "non-destructive modifier stack"  that was introduced awhile back. They call it Meshops (Mesh Operations) or procedural modeling

If you ant to see some examples of it in action I'd recommend checking out this thread:
    https://community.foundry.com/discuss/topic/137925/alexander-shmakov-tricks-in-modo-and-more?page=3

MeshOps allowed me to create MOP Booleans:
    https://youtu.be/WUeTtABeOxs

and Foundry continues to add new Procedural modeling tools every update.

• eFerrari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eFerrari polycounter lvl 4
    Hi guitarguy00! Full disclosure: I work for Foundry, so I'm very biased.

As William mentioned, Modo does feature a procedural stack, which allows you to layer Mesh Operations to work non-destructively. It's an area that will continue to grow and improve. And Modo's procedural system really compliments other areas of Modo, like MeshFusion. 

Just so you know, you can start a new free 30 day trial of Modo each time a new version is released. This includes major releases as well as point releases. Currently there are 3 versions of Modo that get released each year. Typically this includes a major release and two point releases. This means you can use Modo for up to 90 days per year, for free! 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I'm a long-term Max user(since V4) so I also might be a bit biased. :) But I've also dabbled in Modo over the years and have used it on several projects.

The most recent version of Modo I've used is 11.2V2 I primarily wanted to add it to my workflow for rounded edge shader baking. I did some pretty extensive testing and found it to be disappointing. The very noticeable shading artifacts made it almost unusable. Plus I had a lot of problems importing .fbx files. The importer seems to be badly broken. I ended up having to use .obj files instead(which also seemed to suffer from shading and geometry issues)

Modo's viewport performance is dreadful on large scenes. It is nowhere near Max on this front.

Modo also tended to crash a LOT. Pretty much every session crashed randomly at some point. Max is rock solid and very rarely crashes for me.

Whilst it's true that Modo has recently introduced procedural modeling, it is in its infancy and is hardly comparable to the modifier stack in Max. Max is pretty much built on this concept and the workflow is at its core.

The navigation for me is obviously not an issue as I've been using Max so long, but I also use UE4/Substance Painter/Blender/Zbrush very frequently so adopting to multiple nav systems is not a problem in my eyes at all.

Last point is on documentation/tutorials/community. Modo is extremely lacking in all 3. Max is the opposite.

Modo is a great application and I can certainly see its appeal, and it is offered at a fair price. If I were you I'd do some serious testing of each in the specific areas you most feel one suits better over the other and make the call from there.

I'm on the Max beta and there are some pretty exciting things coming down the pipeline this year.......enough said. :)
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I haven't used Max in years, so I can't speak on that. But I stopped using Modo due to the sheer instability/unreliability across the whole of the program, and that hasn't changed since the most recent version I tried out, which I believe was 11.2. Support is also very bad; the indie version straight-up has none, and threads or documentation are extremely hard to come by.
    Before leaving it behind, I had lost a few different projects altogether because of colossal bugs that I couldn't solve.
    One time was when attempting to rig/animate, which wound up being virtually impossible because the rig kept randomly breaking and none of the animations would export.
    Another time was when I was working on a bunch of foliage and had to modify the normals; the normal editor wasn't working correctly, and the normals would not correctly reset to the default state either, leaving them permanently broken.
    And then on two or three separate occasions I had my whole configuration get destroyed while trying to modify hotkeys.
    On many occasions, before taking a model into UE4, I would have to import it into something like Blender, then export it back out. Because Modo would create a broken .FBX somehow and cause it to get warped on import into UE4. It would often be stretched along a single axis, or heavily offset in a random direction.
    And that isn't to mention all the random little annoying bugs.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Last time I looked at Modo they'd gutted the community forums, the modcasts had ended, and Brad Peebler had left. My favorite thing about Modo was actually the community, so seeing all that really made me lose interest in the product.

If you haven't already, you might want to seriously look into Blender. Its been getting some really amazing improvements and addons lately that make it very powerful (check out HardOps, BoxCutter, DecalMachine, Asset Management, Textools).
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PolyHertz 100% this. I've started dabbling in Blender of late and I'm very impressed. 2.8 is a perfect time to get started in Blender. I'm constantly amazed at this little BIG program. I still can't believe it's only 100-odd megs and takes about 2 seconds to launch.

I bought Hardops/Boxcutter and it is a workflow that no other program has atm. Plus pretty much any tools/features from other DCC.....there's an add-on for that. 2.8 has EEVEE. The best real-time viewport of any of the main DCCs. It also has a rounded edge shader that can be baked to a normal map, and it is a lot better than Modo's results.
  • guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6
    How is Blender when it comes to custom hot keys? I have read that it doesn't like it when you assign your own hot keys for some reason?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because Blender is so hotkey-centric you're bound to run into conflicts. But this is expected. Luckily there is add-on to detect available key combos for custom hotkeys. But, as with staring out in any complex 3D software you should learn basics of the program and the most important hotkeys first, before customising. What I always do when learning new complex software is have a notepad file open and just add shortcuts to it as I discover them when working. Pretty soon it's filled up with your most commonly used hotkeys.

'free key' addon demo video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=48&v=-PIhDR0RIbQ

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Luckily Blender 2.8 is around the corner, just few months away, and its interface is going to be easier for beginners or app-switchers.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    How is Blender when it comes to custom hot keys? I have read that it doesn't like it when you assign your own hot keys for some reason?
    not at all. you can assign hotkeys as you please. the caveat is that blender does not check for duplicate assignments so you can easily introduce odd behaviour. you can however hotkey everything, including turning the selection/navigation behaviour totally upside down. it's also not all that hotkey-centric - generally commands are available from tool shelf, menu bar, searchable on-screen- or pie menus (with the help of an addon).

as for the topic: 3ds max would be my choice between those two: extensive modifier stack, overall customizability, availability of scripts, exporters and the community. i also fancy the quad menu system. lastly it feels pretty fast to me - unlike modo which to be fair i have only trialled a few times over the years.

two reasons not to pick 3ds max: windows-only - if that's an issue for you - and rental-only.

• Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 10
    all autodesk has to do is make max's MCG more user friendly and it will be a much much better package for game artists than it already is.
  • SenSayNyu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SenSayNyu polycounter lvl 11
    I've tried Maya, Max and Blender several times and always returned to Modo just because it's much more advanced in customizing your personal working space. Sure, it's not that easy, but after you segment your config, assign context-sensitive hotkeys and customize your layout - it's godly fast. Oh, and I love trackball rotation that everybody else hates. I hope sometimes Blender will offer that level of customization...
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    SenSayNyu said:
    Oh, and I love trackball rotation
    my man
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    SenSayNyu said:
    Oh, and I love trackball rotation that everybody else hates. I hope sometimes Blender will offer that level of customization...
    Not sure if misread but you can enable trackball rotation in blender if you like.

• Shiv0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv0r polycounter lvl 8
    thomasp said:
    not at all. you can assign hotkeys as you please. 

modal hotkeys like all the loopcut options are not available to assign as a custom hotkey which is pretty sad to be honest or is there a way around? 
  • SenSayNyu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SenSayNyu polycounter lvl 11
    renderhjs said:
    SenSayNyu said:
    Oh, and I love trackball rotation that everybody else hates. I hope sometimes Blender will offer that level of customization...
    Not sure if misread but you can enable trackball rotation in blender if you like.
    I'm aware of that, thank you. I should be more specific: Modo gives you ability to map context driven commands (tools, ui elements, scripts and macros). User can assign tool-specific hotkeys or use a single hotkey for pie menu in item mode, bridging polygons, connecting vertices/edges and running a script in UV editor.

Maybe it's because Modo is relatively young compared to other software its interface at core is much more streamlined. AD products is outdated in terms of usability. Blender 2.8 release is promising in that regard and I think Blender is the future of 3D software due to various reasons so I will learn it properly in a year or two.