Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

topology/normal maps and uv question

juanoblagu
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
juanoblagu polycounter lvl 6
hi eveyrone i got to this here where i modeled the nails of my model and i wanted to retopo it in the fingers but i dont know if its a bad idea, what do you guys think?

here is the low

and heres is the high

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    a few extra vertices, probably not a big deal. What's the use of the model? Would the hands be seen up close? I think nails coming from a normal map would be fine otherwise. One nice thing about the way you did it is that you can split them off into a UV shell easily, which you can target easily for texturing. 
  • juanoblagu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juanoblagu polycounter lvl 6
    a few extra vertices, probably not a big deal. What's the use of the model? Would the hands be seen up close? I think nails coming from a normal map would be fine otherwise. One nice thing about the way you did it is that you can split them off into a UV shell easily, which you can target easily for texturing. 
    the model is for my course project, im aiming towards disney/pixaresque style and models for animation, i dont have the nails separated as another shell in the UVs, so should i just cut them and make em bigger?(nail uvs)

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    No, it's okay the have the nails IN the hand UV island.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    You have to know what your end goal is so that you can make these decisions. There is no rules about how to do these things, it just depends on your projects specific needs. Do you need high resolution on the fingernails? The hands? If so, maybe you need multiple materials for the entire character. 

If Disney type characters is your goal, do you mean a non-realtime model? If so, look up how that is done for some models you like/can find info about. Is it a game model? Again, just find whatever breakdown's/tutorials you can that cover similar character styles. That will give you a good starting point. 

I'd recommend making a prototype trial run through with this character as it sounds like you don't have a solid grasp on how the whole process of UV'ing and texturing works. Just bang out some UV's and start playing around with textures, don't worry about trying to get it perfect just yet. Then you'll start to see firsthand how much resolution you can get from your layouts, and you'll start thinking critically about things like, "ok, i need more detail on the hands because i want the little wrinkles on the knuckles to be very clear when the camera is close." so then you start thinking about going up in texture resolution, or making a material just for the hands, and a material just for the arms, and just for the head, so on. There's lots of ways to do this, but you won't find the best answer until you get some more experience just playing around.  This shit is a lot to take in at first and there's a lot of what-if's. That's why I think a beginner shouldn't bother with trying to make any serious models and worry about showcasing it to anybody, just view it as practice and nothing more. You need to find as many problems and questions as you can and figure out how to figure the answers for yourself. It's just a matter of going through and doing it. Then you realize it's not rocket science at all, you it's just hard to understand until you've done it a few times.