Home Technical Talk

[3DS MAX] Moving UV shells after peel mode does some wierd stuff!

M.Petersen
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
M.Petersen polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone! long time no post but I have some issues that I cant find a solution to, maybe you guys can help me out? :smile:

I have a wierd thing in the 3Ds max UV editor, not sure if it is a bug or if I just have something activated or whatsoever.

In the gif im moving a UV shell normally like it should do, however when I peel it and try to move it again it goes completely mental, anyone knows something about this drug?

Replies

• M.Petersen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay kind of fixed, when I deselect peel mode I can move it normally again. guess you shouldn't move stuff in peel mode!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    You had a pinned vertex in Peel mode. That's why it was behaving like that. Also, quick tip for Peel mode: turn off 'avoid overlap' so that all your islands don't get jigged around every time you enter the mode.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Okay kind of fixed, when I deselect peel mode I can move it normally again. guess you shouldn't move stuff in peel mode!
    Another cool trink you may not know. You see the purple vertex ticks? Those are pins. Try moving them around until you get the peel exactly like you want it.
  • M.Petersen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You had a pinned vertex in Peel mode. That's why it was behaving like that. Also, quick tip for Peel mode: turn off 'avoid overlap' so that all your islands don't get jigged around every time you enter the mode.
    Thanks! The avoid overlap helps a lot indeed!

monster said:
    Another cool trink you may not know. You see the purple vertex ticks? Those are pins. Try moving them around until you get the peel exactly like you want it.
    Do you mean these? I know you can set these up and work with these and stretch/move around your shells, however I cannot select them? When I try to drag them out it just moves the entire shell. And you should be able to add more of these points manually correct? Any idea on how that works?

• M.Petersen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe this gif shows it a bit better.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Work in vertex sub-object with Peel mode. The pins are vertex pins. Peel mode is extremely underrated and very powerful.
  • M.Petersen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got it now! had to play around with the pins, Thank you very much! 
    It indeed looks like such a powerful tool, I can already see a lot of useful ways to use this.

Nice youtube page by the way! I followed your foliage tutorials a while back!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mate. Hope they were useful. :)