Home Technical Talk

[3DSMAX] Please vote for this feature request: Soft blended booleans like Modo Meshfusion

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
OccultMonk interpolator
If you are a 3dsmax user and want 'soft blended booleans', could you please vote for this feature. I think better boolean support (especially something like Modo Meshfusion should be considered). When an idea gets more votes the likelihood of it being implemented increases. Autodesk is considering this but has other feature requests that have more votes. Thanks!

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/soft-blending-between-boolean-meshes-like-modo-meshfusion/idi-p/6812592

Replies

• Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    Considering this post and your other thread, have you thought about just switching to modo?
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    No, I have too much invested in 3dsmax, with too many hotkeys, workflows and scripts. Modo does not really have an advantage, certainly not in viewport performance. Only Meshfusion is a feature I would like in 3dsmax.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Deforges said:
    Considering this post and your other thread, have you thought about just switching to modo?
    I thought about adding it to my workflow(in the same 3dsMax boat) but after a few weeks testing it I found it wasn't suitable. The .fbx importer is badly broken, the rounded edge shader has unworkable shading artifacts for baking, and Meshfusion isn't as great as I thought.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    @musashidan Meshfusion is great for some objects though :-) Zbrush booleans do not give control over fillets and chamfers, just smoothing. Also, you need to export the tessellated mesh. Fusion and other solid modeling applications do not integrate well with the blackout stage. With Meshfusion I can combine earlier modeled polygon shapes.