Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

figure study C&C

AliArto
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
AliArto polycounter lvl 4
this my latest study 6 hours sculpt what do u think i start with zsphare 8 head figure 
what do u think about it ? forms and proportion and anatomy  ? C&C i appreciate it

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    You should post this in the 3d showcase forum. 

About the model, I think you are still focusing in on individual muscles one at a time and missing the bigger picture. I'd recommend forgetting about the muscles for awhile, and focus instead on simplifying the human body into planes and basic shapes. I think if you search "planes of the human body/face" you may find some good study material.

The most important thing is to get the silhouette right. Remember, you are working in 3d, so although something might look right as you are working on it from one angle, if you aren't conscientious about how it ties into everything else in 3d space you'll end up with a model that doesn't look quite right. This is something I had big problems with when I first started. I went to a lot of trouble to set up reference images and then tried to copy them exactly. But there is some difference between a 2d image and 3d, so you have to sit and think and imagine how the object is composed in real life. This doesn't have anything to do with understanding anatomy, but is more just about very careful observation and some critical thinking. Doing some formal art studying will help define and give methodologies to do this. Gathering tons of reference so you can observe your subject from every conceivable angle also helps a lot. Like Spongebob said, "BE THE MARBLE!!!"

For the human body and face, I think the forms are very subtle. Especially on the face. That's probably why people usually start by studying bodybuilder types, because they aren't quite so subtle in form as an ordinary human.

So, humans are difficult to get right, and it is going to require thousands of hours of practice before you really start nailing it most likely. But you're doing great so far and you are going to get a lot of help so long as you keep trying and keep asking.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I hope you're also figure drawing while you're doing these 3D studies.  Alex mentions making sure the silhouette is right; figure drawing helps you tackle this more directly than 3D.
  • AliArto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should post this in the 3d showcase forum. 

About the model, I think you are still focusing in on individual muscles one at a time and missing the bigger picture. I'd recommend forgetting about the muscles for awhile, and focus instead on simplifying the human body into planes and basic shapes. I think if you search "planes of the human body/face" you may find some good study material.

The most important thing is to get the silhouette right. Remember, you are working in 3d, so although something might look right as you are working on it from one angle, if you aren't conscientious about how it ties into everything else in 3d space you'll end up with a model that doesn't look quite right. This is something I had big problems with when I first started. I went to a lot of trouble to set up reference images and then tried to copy them exactly. But there is some difference between a 2d image and 3d, so you have to sit and think and imagine how the object is composed in real life. This doesn't have anything to do with understanding anatomy, but is more just about very careful observation and some critical thinking. Doing some formal art studying will help define and give methodologies to do this. Gathering tons of reference so you can observe your subject from every conceivable angle also helps a lot. Like Spongebob said, "BE THE MARBLE!!!"

For the human body and face, I think the forms are very subtle. Especially on the face. That's probably why people usually start by studying bodybuilder types, because they aren't quite so subtle in form as an ordinary human.

So, humans are difficult to get right, and it is going to require thousands of hours of practice before you really start nailing it most likely. But you're doing great so far and you are going to get a lot of help so long as you keep trying and keep asking.

thanks a lot yes that is my bad habit i started learning muscles anatomy before proportion and body planes 
    sorry i though it's 
    3d showcase forum do u know how to delete the post 
  • AliArto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope you're also figure drawing while you're doing these 3D studies.  Alex mentions making sure the silhouette is right; figure drawing helps you tackle this more directly than 3D.
    figure drawing it's hard do i need learn draw in presp too ? or just in "ortho" ?
    so now i should study 
    silhouette and figure drawing ok
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moved it for you.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    AliArto said:
    figure drawing it's hard do i need learn draw in presp too ? or just in "ortho" ?
    so now i should study 
    Don't overthink too much. Just find some beginners drawing tutorials and start working. As long as you are enjoying yourself and are able to fully focus on the work without too much distraction, you are going to be learning as fast as possible. It just takes time and you have to keep challenging yourself so that you can get to all of the mistakes. which are necessary to learn from. The more mistakes you are making, the better. So long as you are able to correct them and keep moving.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AliArto said:
    so now i should study 
    It should generally force you to draw in perspective, and how to deal with elements like foreshortening.
  • AliArto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIGTIMEMASTER
    thanks i will
    thanks 
    for now i think i'll do it in ortho i only want to get the forms and dynamic  figure silhouette right 
    btw i'll keep drawing i start to like it 
    these my figure drawing what do u think guys !! 
    i start with gesture line 

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    nice work. Keep on drawing the human form from every angle and with lots of different styles, and post a compilation of your best works in the 2d section for review from the relevant peoples. I think you'll have a much better eye when you come back to the 3d after a few months of practice like this.
  • AliArto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice work. Keep on drawing the human form from every angle and with lots of different styles, and post a compilation of your best works in the 2d section for review from the relevant peoples. I think you'll have a much better eye when you come back to the 3d after a few months of practice like this.
    ok i'll post it there 
    yes now i know little bit how the body line up 

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like there's progress.  Some of your drawings look stiff; I recommend really exagerrating the lines of action with the festural drawings.  Make the whole thing feel more loose and alive.  Don't worry about being preciese, nail the flow of the pose.
  • AliArto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like there's progress.  Some of your drawings look stiff; I recommend really exagerrating the lines of action with the festural drawings.  Make the whole thing feel more loose and alive.  Don't worry about being preciese, nail the flow of the pose.
    am working on it practice everyday d
  • AliArto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP what do u think i am try do not thinking about the anatomy only sculpt what i see
    EDIT: i use zsphare without symmetry