Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] My first satisfying work

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
mustafaduyar polycounter lvl 4

Hi all!
I want to share my first satisfying work. Completed this guy roughly, without details. Just detailed the head . I'd love to hear your critiques and advices.
Besides, I have a question; should I make the head separate when making retopology ?

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looking good! I think you could spend some extra time sculpting the hands.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Bend the arms.  You're gonna make IK rigging it very difficult.

You can separate the head for the retopology if you want.  Depends on how flexible you want to show the head to be.
  • mustafaduyar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for quick responds. I agree, didn't touch the hands yet. hey Brian, thanks for the tip.I'll fix it. But also can you Show me an example for correct position of arms.
  • jacopoS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacopoS polycounter
    Hey,
    this looks quite cool already.
    The pose of the arms is almost ok as it is: palms facing downward and shoulders 45° down. You only need to bend the elbows forward just slightly as Brian said. This makes the setup of the IK much easier. Plus, deformation-wise, it's always better to not have a joint posed in the most extreme pose by default.
  • mustafaduyar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey , it’s been too long. I began retopology. let’s say there are too many of this guy in a game scene, that poly count is good enough for these days. and, what do you think about the edge flow?
  • mustafaduyar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi all, i finished working on this character. what do you think about it ? Crits and comments are very important to me. Thanks in advance
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Looks pretty god, but there are a few things that are off.
    First, the folds on the boots doesn't make them come off as leather and doesn't make too much sense considering the points of tension that the foot would add.
    Second, I'd raise the waist of the character, an error you can see in my portfolio as well as those pieces are very old and I hadn't learned this trick when I made them, In general medieval clothing has the waist a bit higher than we're used to and it does come off as more appealing too. Especially for armor, but the same is true for a gambeson. My latter pieces which I still haven't bothered uploaded on artstation all incorporate this more and it does pay off. If you care I can dig up some old files and show you the comparisons.
    Third, You seem to have used and edgewear mask to make tears in the gambeson, which doesn't come off right at all, Paint those tears manually instead for a better look.

Apart from these things i'd say it's a decent piece, the pose and presentation could be more interesting but I'm not very good at that so i'll leave it for someone else to help out with.
  • mustafaduyar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Maxilator, I appreciate it.

I can't change the things you've mentioned after this point, but I get the sense of what you're talking about. I'll be careful about these issues. All I want to ask is, is that character worth adding to my portfolio? And also it'd be great if you share the comparison, it would be a huge help.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Yes, I'd add it to your portfolio if i were you, I'd say you only need to remove portfolio pieces if they are significantly worse than the other work in it and seeing as yours seems empty, there is certainly no reason to not add it. You could probably still adjust the waist of the model a bit at this point, I touch up old models all the time.
  • mustafaduyar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks maxilator, i get the point.
    this is artstation link; https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BmoGd4
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great, Definitely add it to your portfolio. 
  • mustafaduyar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks akiratang.
     I want to take up a new challenge on my next project. What would you suggest?