Home General Discussion

Celebration post

Ureroll
null
Offline / Send Message
Ureroll null
Hello polycounters. I am not much of a forum person, but this time I felt it was time to craft couple lines (first post btw) to tank everyone for your incredible guides and comments that led me to bake what I proudly consider my first quality normal map. I know I know, it may not seem a big deal for most, But for me has been a  real long journey!!  I started toying  with 3d modeling in the spare time 2 or even 3 years ago but the results have been... well... lets say way, way,  waaaaay below expectations if not straight nasty. If I knew back then that In order to make a game asset I  had to spend most of the time not modelling it but instead researching pics in an ocean of trash, re-make the low poly every iteration, then Uv the low poly correctly (don't get me started on learning the uvs and then the Udims and whatnot) but no, it was not over. Then It was time to fight  with the normal maps, and I need a cage now too?? in 2018? To be honest my friends always knew I needed one!
I ended up thinking.. "how the hell am I gonna stop modelling turds if I have to spend all this time polishing them?" And I was beaten, stuck, I gave up for a while, It was no longer fun.

Some time passed, some tools got some cool updates, but most importantly I have read some of the best articles  & guides, 90% found here, and I finally scrapped a pipeline together that finally does the  do. I sure wish the whole process was less time consuming and more straightforward but for now I just want to take a minute or two and celebrate that my assets are no longer stabbing my eyes with  jagged blades. Last night I was able to obtain my first clean crisp normal map bake and relative sexy curvy low poly asset finally free of unwanted alias, jag, crap, black lines,distortions and ugliness. And, for helping me put an end to the struggle and restoring my creative confidence, Polycount I thank you warmly for  the invaluable service!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Hey, that's great, glad we could help! 

Don't be shy, post your art so we can help you improve on it. It's a bit odd you have no forum history whatsoever. If I was in your place, I would have been asking questions all along, and posting my attempts so I could get feedback and more eyeballs on my work. It's really hard to do it entirely on your own. For some idea of how the culture works here, and how to get the most bang for your attention dollar, see How to Post on the Internet and Why you're not getting any replies.

Anyhow, enough with the soapbox! Always great to see the community helping people achieve things. Congrats on jumping the first few hurdles!
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I struggled with map baking for awhile too. I came here and got a lot of good help, but I think the major difficultly with baking is that you are working blind, and then you have to sit and wait several minutes at a time to get your results. So if you are a self-study hobbyist who doesn't know enough about the computer science stuff going on in the background enough to fully understand peoples suggestions/advice, it can feel like you are trying to do magic. 

My big leap was when I got turned onto Marmoset Toolbag 3. For $150 or whatever it was, it is a total game changer for me at least. Now baking is a fast no brainer. Almost a mindless step I can do in a few minutes and move on. You don't get the results you need? You just tweak and see visual updates in real time. 
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    We tank you too.  ;)
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Congratulations! I know exactly how you feel.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Nice one.

Now lets see stuff so we can help level up your progress even further?! either another notch or three...or more :)

• Ureroll
    Offline / Send Message
    Ureroll null

Wow so much interest, nice! Here we go then, This  is the latest in town, around 1.5k tris. and toke me a whole evening. I was experimenting with boleans but fixing the topo of the low poly  maaaan wtf!! it toke forever, like  70% of the total time! I am going to fake more details in he future just to save retopo time. :( the normal map came out black and toke me  like another half hour to figure out that somehow I left the uvs not in 0-1 space /facepalm. The paintjob is a place holder, will refine if I end up using it.   In the end I think is miles better than the trash in the background  I did a while back.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @Ureroll
    If it helps, you can also boolean your way to a low poly, instead of trying to plane by plane rretopo something.
  • Ureroll
    Offline / Send Message
    Ureroll null
    Mumm..I could  duplicate the subtools, remove all  the control loops of the parts before re doing the boolean on a low poly and fix verts on that instead of doing the retopo. Is that what you mean?
    Since we talking booleans, they seems to always  cut a bit too sharp in the mesh and that gives me  a bit more aliasing that I like even at medium distances especially in vr. Next step I guess  would be... to manipulate/ smooth the high poly after the boolean operation. I had no success so far in re-meshing it and obtaining workable  loops while retaining the edges. Do you plan those polygroups in advance too?  Cose regrouping by tangents after the fact is not working even on simple stuff. Would be nice to figure that bit out, I am planning something big next, in space screen terms, lets say a big sci-fi bridge. I have not  tried big meshes yet man, they are scary,  I must be shimmerfobic
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    No, I mean like taking low poly primitives and geo and booleaning your way to an initial low poly blockout for the retopology.
    Like looking at the posted object above, I can imagine booleaning a lower poly cylinder to get the general cuts I need to match the high poly mesh.
  • mikewitk
    Offline / Send Message
    mikewitk polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Ureroll,

Congratulations man! I totally understand the feeling of being stuck, of having high expectations (I believe everyone here still feels that)...but hey, go and celebrate man. One step at a time and we will reach the top.

I just wanted to share something that I read/listened these day, from Ryan Kingslein

"We struggle because we are growing. If there was no growth, there wouldn't be struggle"
    This is another way to face things. You are only struggling with stuff because you are growing, and that is an amazing thing.

Keep on the good work my man.
  • mikewitk
    Offline / Send Message
    mikewitk polycounter lvl 4
    Actually, keep on working...good or bad, doesn't matter, keep working