Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pistol Crossbow

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Evidale triangle
Hello all! One of my first times posting here.

This is a model I did for one of my college courses. Feedback is welcome!

Programs used: Maya, Zbrush, & Substance Painter

More images on at https://www.artstation.com/artwork/30zYo

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Lovely job on the texturing! The bakes came out very clean, and the wood is well done (which can be tricky to pull off). However I feel its grain may be a bit too harsh of an angle? Your uv's are great, the but packing could be improved, there's a lot of wasted space - which translates into missed potential quality to push out more resolution in your texturing. :) Great project though!
  • Evidale
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evidale triangle
    Kanni3d said:
    Lovely job on the texturing! The bakes came out very clean, and the wood is well done (which can be tricky to pull off). However I feel its grain may be a bit too harsh of an angle? Your uv's are great, the but packing could be improved, there's a lot of wasted space - which translates into missed potential quality to push out more resolution in your texturing. :) Great project though!
    Thanks for the feedback! UV's are definitely something I'd like to go back and pack tighter. I figured I could probably overlap a few more pieces, as you really can't look at both sides at once, freeing up quite a bit more resolution. 

After getting a fresh look and comparing mine to the reference I used, I probably could of rotated the grain to be a bit more horizontal. I agree it looks a bit unnatural currently.

This was my reference