Home Technical Talk

[MAYA] How can I translate and scale a curve without screwing up the geometry on it?

Turbopasta
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Turbopasta polycounter lvl 5
Quick question: I extruded a mesh face onto a curve with multiple control vertexes. The end mesh looks good and I can manipulate it well with the curve vertexes. Only problem is that I made the model it's attached to too big and now I need to shrink the whole thing. I parented the entire model to a "master curve" and I can translate + scale everything on the model except for this one curve/mesh that it's affecting. If I try to parent one or the other or both to the master curve, then scale the master curve, the problem curve/mesh scales differently than the rest of the object. 

I can delete history on the curve's mesh but then I lose the curve association and I can't manipulate the thing with the curve points, which is something I want to do later. (On a related subject, would it be possible to delete the history, rescale it, and then somehow re-attach the curve to the mesh with the ability to manipulate it?) 

What is the best way to deal with this issue without compromising the integrity of the entire model?

Replies

• seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    sounds like double transformation!
    curve controls surface and parenting both to a controller results in:
    parent scales curve which scales object (as long as it has history) AND parent scales object created by the curve again.

solution: parent only the curve to the control but not the object.
  • Turbopasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turbopasta polycounter lvl 5
    seb3d said:
    sounds like double transformation!
    curve controls surface and parenting both to a controller results in:
    parent scales curve which scales object (as long as it has history) AND parent scales object created by the curve again.

solution: parent only the curve to the control but not the object.
    nope, that isn't fixing it. I'll include some screenshots to demonstrate what I'm dealing with.

Before scaling with only curve parented:

After: scaling to make it smaller

I could just manually resize the end of it, but I feel like there's a much easier way to do this then that and it would get tedious for what I'm trying to do with this.