Maya (VRay) Displacement UDIM Issue

Alex1
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Alex1 polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys,

The issue:

Displacement map's negative floating point values are ignored when using the 'UV Tiling Mode / UDIM's' in Maya.

After some research, it appears that this issue is specifically linked to how VRay handles (or fails to handle) the UV tiling mode when 32bit displacement maps are concerned. It should be noted that using a single displacement UV tile seems to produce correct results:

So, a workaround that I've read about, advises switching to the 'Explicit' tiling mode instead and to load each UV tile separately, like so:

This worked, HOWEVER, only for the very first tile. All other tiles are ignored for some reason even when changing their UV coordinates / disabling the texture's Wrap U/V's and playing around with the Translate Frame.

Finally, after a full day of researching this, I've resorted to using the old method of individually linking each texture tile to a Layer or a +/- Average node to get it to work.

So my question is, is there really no way of using the UV tiling mode with displacements the way it was intended; without having to employ old workarounds? Maybe I've missed something...

Would really appreciate some help.

Thank you.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    you have to set the displacement bounds by hand... try +5 and -5
  • Alex1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex1 polycounter lvl 4
    oglu said:
    you have to set the displacement bounds by hand... try +5 and -5
    Mr Schädl comes to the rescue once again :) Thank a lot man!

Had some trouble figuring out how to input a negative value into the minimum field since I believe Maya 2015+ only accepts color input for the displacement bounds. For anyone having this same issue, I believe a quick fix for this is to change from HSV to RGB, which can then be set to negative values.