Home Technical Talk

Help with Joint Orientation in Advanced Skeleton! Please~

djordan
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
djordan vertex
Hello, I'm using Advanced Skeleton 5 to begin rigging a character. I have trouble getting my joints oriented correctly. Here's what I do: I move the joints in the X axis in Object mode for axis orientation. I also rotate the joint chains in this way. I must be doing something wrong because my pole vectors at the knees don't point straight and sometimes the controllers for the limbs aren't properly oriented. 

I hope this is easy to answer. Unfortunately I haven't anything online yet that answers my question. Please help! <3

Replies

• Toku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    Wish I  could be of help, But I have the time issue...
    The pole vector is generated between the two IK control points and regardless of joint orientation it will build it in the direction it shows during the preview. If anyone knows how to fix it would be appreciated!

edit: Ok so I managed to solve the issue. Basically the IK joints dont like to be moved around much, Dont try to manually move the knee or elbow points but rather rotate the hip and ankle into position.

You can preview the direction of the IK pole by enabling  'pole-vector' under display and fitmode under 'auto-orient' then make sure your layer is visible and shaded, when you make adjustments to the initial skeleton you will see your IK controllers and can get them into position 
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any joints that have IK, need a bend in them > The pole vector will be placed in the direction the bend is point to. >----*