Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I dont understand why these glass bottles look so unrealistic in engine?

Stewart774
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Stewart774 polycounter lvl 3
I've made some bottles for an environment i'm working on. In substance painter they look exactly how I want them too, but in UE4 something changes? I have sRGB unticked in my RGB texture and here are pics of my material set-up. Whats going wrong? whats the best way to create realistic glass bottles? Thank you!

Heres how they look in substance painter:

Here is my material setup inside ue4

And heres how they look: for some reason they are really really bright? 

Even if I lower the brightness in the ALB they look better but still not great.

Replies

• serg2712
    Offline / Send Message
    serg2712 null
    I don't know Unreal very well, but what I usually do first in Unity, if my materials are not looking as expected, is to export the environment map from substance and plug it into Unity so I have the same lighting... hope it helps maybe somehow :smile:
  • MrBFox
    Offline / Send Message
    MrBFox greentooth
    Do you have any reflection/lighting capture volumes in your scene?
    I alslo noticed youre lighting model is set to surface forward shading, setting it to surface transluceny might help.
    If its a material setup issue Game textures has a tutorial on how they set it up here:
    https://www.gametextures.com/creating-a-multi-purpose-glass-material-in-unreal-engine-4/#1468373573539-ec3c4c66-4710
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Hi.
    1. This should be in the technical talk.
    2. Unless its a stained glass, the glass parts should have almost zero opacity. If that doesn't give you the desired result because it reduces the reflections too much, you can try using fresnel as a base for the opacity. That should be fairly accurate as it acts the same as pbr materials should.
    3. For best lighting, use the forward shaded one, that gives the same quality lighting as an opaque material, as it has per pixel lighting. Its the most expensive one though, and you are better using a separated material for the non transperent parts to minimize the amount of expensive pixels.
    4. You would get more reflections and reflractions if you would have inside mesh as well.
    5. Metallic should be zero.
    6. Roughness should be almost zero.
    7. It looks like you only have light shapes reflected, so I'm assuming you only use dynamic lights. Dynamic lights doesn't light the reflection environment, so objects won't show in the reflections. If you must have to use only dynamic lights for some unimaginable reason, you will need to add a cubemap manually.

• jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    Im also a unity guy, but i imagine that the process has to be similar, it seems like theres no real transparency or refraction happening, the bottles dont seem to interact with the light in the scene very well either they are way to bright compared to how dark the rest of the scene is. hope tha thelps 
  • Domslice
    Offline / Send Message
    Domslice polycounter lvl 8
    Double-check your workflow - are you working Metal/Rough in substance? Your speculars look pretty blown out in engine. Could be a matter of inverted values? Just a thought.