Home Technical Talk

Normal artifacts mystery. Please help me solve it :/

sailor77
null
Offline / Send Message
sailor77 null
Hi! I wonder if someone could help me figure out what's causing this problem I'm having. Been trying to solve it for many hours today. At first I thought it was just a bad bake, caused by bad match (distance) between high- and lowpoly, but now I think it might be more than that. The lowpoly is all soft edges, exported without tangents, which are then recomputed in Substance Painter. I know the bake is not perfect, but there is something more going on here. Is because of the poles in the lowpoly geometry? Is it caused by locked/weird normals in the lowpoly somehow?

This is what it looks like in Marmoset. The problem was visible in Painter too, but not as bad, so I let it slide.

This is what the normal map looks like. There's some bleed from beneath I think (the bright stuff on the very edge).

Same as above, but with wireframe.

This is without the normal map applied.

And again, with normal map applied and wireframe.

I was messing around in Photoshop, trying to move stuff around, and clone parts and paint over, but wasn't able to get any descent results. No matter what I tried, there were still issues. Before this, I tried rebaking with numerous settings, and also pasted the normal map into a fill layer, added mask and paint, but nothing gives a good result.

I've been working on this model for quite some time now, and would very much appreciate if someone could help me out, so I can get on with my life:)

Replies

• sailor77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sailor77 null
    I'm looking for a way to fix this as much as possible without altering the geo, since I've sent this to an animator, and the skinning has already been done. From what I understand, altering the geo will destroy his work. (I'm not too familiar with animation, but this is what I've heard. He's working in Maya). Link to temporary (non-animated) sketchfab version, so that you cn see the issue in moving light:

https://sketchfab.com/models/1752952c121d4d5d9fa0c3e8662beb2f

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    it looks like there's too much difference between the high and low res meshes to me
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    This is on the rear-edge of the left-side fin, right?

Well, there is no nearby geometry that might be getting in the way. Probably there is a bad match. 

You can move vertices around, that won't break animations. Animations are stored in the rig. The vertices are binded to the rig. If you make big adjustments to the vertices, then you may need to do some adjustment to the weighting of the vertices. This isn't a big deal.

But, if the animator won't budge (maybe they know something more than I do -- I'm a beginner), and you just can't adjust your lo to match your hi, I'm sure you can blend that out. I've fixed much worse artifacts than that in Substance Painter. 
  • sailor77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sailor77 null
    Ok, thanks. Yes, the fin. I’ll try to paint it out again. 
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    You wont be able to paint those 'errors' out. They're there because the normal map can't store enough information to "fix" that 160° angle that you put in 1 smoothing group. Normal maps can barely cope with a 90° angle.
    Split the top and bottom of the fin in different smoothing groups and rebake the normals. 
    Or you can chamfer that edge so you'll end up with an edge that's <90°. You'd have to reskin but that shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.
  • Mirbobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixing normal errors by painting them out is probably the worst advice to give to anyone and really shouldn't be done in a production environment except maybe in a very specific corner cases.
    To me it seems like a high-low mismatch, but might be related to smoothing as well as that is pretty drastic angle. Did you use a cage to preview how the rays are cast?
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    If you're really set on not fucking with the model you sent to your animator, here's a "quick fix" that won't completely alleviate the problem, but will constrict it to the very tip of the edge:
    Duplicate your lowpoly mesh and rename it to "your problems". 
    On "your problems", add support loops (orange) around the problem area so that the bad boi faces indicated with red lines shade similarly to the good boi faces indicated by green lines:

You've now pushed the vertex normals towards the tippy tip, like so:

Bake object space normals onto "your problems".
    Download handplane and plug "your problems" and the object space normals into the mouth slots, and plug your lowpoly into the butt slot. Do convert that object space to tangent space.

Now you can delete your problems. Ba-dum-tsh.

• sailor77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sailor77 null

Thanez said:
    You wont be able to paint those 'errors' out. They're there because the normal map can't store enough information to "fix" that 160° angle that you put in 1 smoothing group. Normal maps can barely cope with a 90° angle.
    Split the top and bottom of the fin in different smoothing groups and rebake the normals. 
    Or you can chamfer that edge so you'll end up with an edge that's <90°. You'd have to reskin but that shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

Thanez said:
    If you're really set on not fucking with the model you sent to your animator, here's a "quick fix" that won't completely alleviate the problem, but will constrict it to the very tip of the edge:
    Duplicate your lowpoly mesh and rename it to "your problems". 
    On "your problems", add support loops (orange) around the problem area so that the bad boi faces indicated with red lines shade similarly to the good boi faces indicated by green lines:

You've now pushed the vertex normals towards the tippy tip, like so:

Bake object space normals onto "your problems".
    Download handplane and plug "your problems" and the object space normals into the mouth slots, and plug your lowpoly into the butt slot. Do convert that object space to tangent space.

Now you can delete your problems. Ba-dum-tsh.

OH! Thank you so much for your answers! I really appreciate the drawings - very pedagogic of you:) I work in Maya, so we don't have "Smoothing Groups" per se, but I get what you mean. In Maya, there are only "hard" or "soft" edges. At first, I was planning to have those edges hard, but then I read that you should have all edges soft, and export without tangents, in a Substance Painter workflow tutorial. I actually tried making them hard, and applied the normal map again, which solved some of the problems, but created new ones. Now it's obvious to me, that that was because I didn't rebake. I'm quite the noob when it comes to texturing and baking:) Do i have to split the UVs as well (islands), or can I keep them as is? Splitting them and then moving them to make room for padding, would definitely be a nightmare, considering the work that would be lost. I have a little bit of the same problems on other areas of the model, but nowhere near as grave as here, and I don't think I'll bother fixing them. So sick of this model now, but can't leave it in this shape.

If I could bother you again, I'd like to hear your opinion though. There's a little bit of the same issue on the gills and maybe on some other fins. Do you think it's something worth spending time on? https://mathiasaxelsson.artstation.com/projects/Lzayw

• sailor77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sailor77 null
    Mirbobo said:
    Fixing normal errors by painting them out is probably the worst advice to give to anyone and really shouldn't be done in a production environment except maybe in a very specific corner cases.
    To me it seems like a high-low mismatch, but might be related to smoothing as well as that is pretty drastic angle. Did you use a cage to preview how the rays are cast?
    Thank you for your response. I didn't use a cage - I baked by name in Substance Painter, and tweaked the front and back distance there. It worked out pretty well, on most of the model. I actually was able to paint out some minor issues, but this was just far to grave an error. I see whay you think it should be avoided though, and understand that a proper bake is far superior.
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    Ya, so I should specify. The workaround I posted should be a last resort. Ideally you should go back and fix your bake so that you'll learn from your mistake and not do it again. 
    I also said that tangent space normal maps can't handle 90° angles which isn't necessarily true, if the edge you want it to portray is sharp, then the tangent space map quickly runs out of either available pixels or spectrum of available values it can use to compensate for the hard edge, so it rarely looks good. For a sharp edge that doesn't shade well I either chamfer or do a hard edge. 

I can't talk about the substance painter workflow as I know absolutely nothing about it or , but in general you should always use a cage on complex models. Try baking with a cage to solve your problem. If it doesn't work, 

You do need a split in the UVs when you have a hard edge. You don't need a hard edge where you have a split in the UVs tho.
    If you hardify the edges around your fins sharp angles, it looks like you should be fine. I think the other fins and gills are fine. Perfection in a model is something to wish for, but accepting a compromise between efficiency and perfection is more realistic I think.
    Maybe do it if it's a portfolio piece? IDK if it'll be worth it tho.
  • sailor77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sailor77 null
    It is actually a portfolio piece, but I think I'll leave it as is anyway. There'll be some animations and stuff added later, and it's supposed to be part of a bigger scene. I just made the edges hard and rebaked. I think it looks good enough now. (?) https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4n1m8

And yes, perfection is of course what everybody aims for, but you never get there. I'm still learning a lot, and many of the steps taken in the making this shark, were the first time for me. This is actually my first serious attempt at Substance Painter. Earlier, I've basically just used finished materials, and maybe  tweaked them a little.

• Mirbobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good you had it fixed. When baking in Substance you are still using a cage even tho you aren't visually working with it, you just define it with the frontal and rear distance. And what you want is to encapsulate the high poly inside this cage.
    And when you have a really sharp angle like that there can in some cases be issues due to how the cage is projected. Adding a chamfer/bevel to "relax" the corner would give you a  more even projection cage that might fix projection errors like these in some cases.

• sailor77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sailor77 null
    Mirbobo said:
    Good you had it fixed. When baking in Substance you are still using a cage even tho you aren't visually working with it, you just define it with the frontal and rear distance. And what you want is to encapsulate the high poly inside this cage.
    And when you have a really sharp angle like that there can in some cases be issues due to how the cage is projected. Adding a chamfer/bevel to "relax" the corner would give you a  more even projection cage that might fix projection errors like these in some cases.

Thanks!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sailor77 said:
    I'm looking for a way to fix this as much as possible without altering the geo, since I've sent this to an animator, and the skinning has already been done. From what I understand, altering the geo will destroy his work. (I'm not too familiar with animation, but this is what I've heard. He's working in Maya). 

While it won't make him happy, there are plenty of ways to preserve what he has already done and update the mesh.
    Source: Am animator, I deal with this all the time, it's not an issue.

Make sure the meshes are in the same pose, bind the new mesh to the same bones and copy skin weights from the old mesh. Delete the old mesh and he can move on with his day.

Now if you drastically change the mesh to the point that it means having to move joints around and redo some rigging then he it will eat up more of his time but it shouldn't cause him to start over from scratch. But something this minor would barely put a kink in his workflow. If he even complains about something so minor you should find yourself someone else to work with, it really is a non-issue.

3dsmax has a similar workflow for updating meshes. Apply skinwrap modifier > target old mesh > convert to skin.
  • sailor77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sailor77 null
    sailor77 said:
    I'm looking for a way to fix this as much as possible without altering the geo, since I've sent this to an animator, and the skinning has already been done. From what I understand, altering the geo will destroy his work. (I'm not too familiar with animation, but this is what I've heard. He's working in Maya). 

While it won't make him happy, there are plenty of ways to preserve what he has already done and update the mesh.
    Source: Am animator, I deal with this all the time, it's not an issue.

Make sure the meshes are in the same pose, bind the new mesh to the same bones and copy skin weights from the old mesh. Delete the old mesh and he can move on with his day.

Now if you drastically change the mesh to the point that it means having to move joints around and redo some rigging then he it will eat up more of his time but it shouldn't cause him to start over from scratch. But something this minor would barely put a kink in his workflow. If he even complains about something so minor you should find yourself someone else to work with, it really is a non-issue.

3dsmax has a similar workflow for updating meshes. Apply skinwrap modifier > target old mesh > convert to skin.
    He did tell me that some alteration was OK - I don't want to make it out like he said nothing could be changed. It's just that since I barely know anything about skinning, rigging and animation - apart from how to create descent edgeflow - I didn't want to change anything unless I absolutely had to. I've already sent him a couple of versions, but don't want to be the guy to keep changing stuff over and over. I had to send him a new version anyway now, since the shading groups had changed, but since nothing else had been changed, it was just a copy-paste fix.

Anyway : thanks everybody for all your input, it really made my day.