what do you use?
Thank you in advance! :)

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I use Windows 7, works great.
    Personally I find it better then Windows 10 simply because it has less junk I don't want built in. And I'm not sure if it's still an issue, but Windows 10 used to force updates that had a tendency to break stuff.
  • Markmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
    PolyHertz
    Thank you! :)
    I too.(at the moment)
  • Markmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
    Who's using windows  10?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    10 is the best version yet IMO. 
  • Markmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
    cryrid
    what?
    why the best version?
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    You should search on youtube some 10 vs 7, there are a lot of good reviews with pros and cons. I use win 10 and i never had any troubles with it. Sure it has that force update but i had no problems so far and i use it for 2 years already.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Me too Win 10 all the way. 

Forced updates arent as invasive as people tell you. I have never had it restart in the middle of my work because its easy to configure it not to. 

Some of the features I love other than the general look update are: 
    The new window snapping
    The new environment path editor
    Mouse scroll on hover rather than active window
    DX12
    Multiple desktops
    The linux subsystem

Few more reasons too
  • Markmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
  • Markmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
    Thank you!
    i never had any troubles with it.
    1.Really?
    programs work or not?(maya,zbrush,substance painter,photoshop,etc.)
    2.I'm talking about
    Problems with drivers
    Windows 10 does not start
    The problem with RAM
    start menu does not work
    windows 10 freezes
    etc.
    Thank you in advance! :) 
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @Axi5 : it depends which version. When using the lighter version (or whatever it's called), it definitely does do intrusive restarts when idle - had it happen recently while working at a client. I believe the settings to prevent it differ from one version to another, which in itself says a lot about the product vision behind the OS.

To the OP : if you are wondering whether or not you should update, then that simply means you have no good reason to update. I'd say save your time, sanity and money and don't do it if you can avoid it.
  • Markmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
    pior 
    Thank you!
    Thanks for the advice! :)
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Got my comment stuck in a quote thanks to mobile.... 

@pior it was likely because you had not set up active hours. I use the home version at home which is the light version you're referring to and have never had it restart as you describe. 

At work I was very busy with a deadline within 3 hours and needed to delay updates. Theres a setting to delay updates by 30 days which does the trick. That's the pro version though and I'll check if it's on the home one. 

I wouldn't outright avoid it. Support for Win7 will end in a few years but by then it'll be considered an obscure platform to still be using. I wouldn't shy away from the future for the sake of it. 

Holy crap this is painful to type on mobile. 
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 : not me, my client. I don't put up with this kind of awful UX design on my own workstations. I base my software and OS purchases based on what I know of the manufacturers/vendors ; MS lost my trust by implementing such features (design flaws) in their recent products, and as a customer I vote with my wallet and I am not encouraging such practices.

This allows me to not have to even think about such concepts as "active hours", or exotic settings to disable, or having to learn after the fact that the light version of an OS is gimped and not suitable for professional work :) Hence my recommendation to the OP to do the same.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Don't you think that's a bit of a strong opinion to force on others though? The OP hasn't even tried it. 
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am indeed quite passionate about not losing hours or work, or missing clients' deadlines. If that's a strong opinion, then so be it.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    I don't use windows 10, but it's on my wife's laptop. There have been issues with it refusing to preserve user settings between updates and other obnoxious shit. This is on windows 10 pro btw . Here's a pretty comprehensive list of the issues behind not just windows 10, but windows in general. https://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html#TheEND  Microsoft treats your computer and your data like it belongs to them, not you.

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Markmars said:
    cryrid
    what?
    why the best version?

Its super fast, very stable, works with all the software that I use, has the best start screen, has built-in FBX previews, I like the notification tray, I love the game bar, and I really really love being able to play XBox One games on my PC while playing with friends who are on the console. There are likely other features that I love and use all the time, but I'm too lazy to dig around to confirm if they were introduced in Windows 10 or 8.  

It had a rough launch and for a while it even interfered with some software that I use... but it is no longer 2015. Software has been updated and patched from both ends, and I haven't had any issue on this machine for years.   
  • Markmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
  • Markmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
    cryrid
    Software has been updated and patched from both ends, and I haven't had any issue on this machine for years.   
    Really?
    I ask because
    I am contemplating buying a new PC for game development. 
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All the software you need for game development will run on it, there's no problem there as the OS has been around for years now.

However, now that a lot of companies push for subscriptions models you will run into conflicts if you decide to accept such updates too frequently (turning yourself into a beta tester, pretty much). But that's a general issue, not related to any OS in particular.
  • Markmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
  • Markmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
    Thanks all for the answers!
    Thanks a lot!  :)
  • DRoss3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DRoss3d polycounter lvl 6
    Just throwing this out there as a reminder, Microsoft is ending the extended support for Windows 7 in 2 years (Jan 14 2020). So you'll eventually have to make the switch. For now I'd save the money and stick with Windows 7.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Windows10, Microsoft has done alot with it; wait until the spring release soon.  
  • Markmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
    Thanks all for the answers!
    Thanks a lot!  :D