Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Swordsman [Game Character] Requesting critique

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
repdigit polycounter lvl 3
I'm working on a game character for a personal project. I decided that the art style should be simplistic so that I can dish out models somewhat quickly. However, I feel like there is something off with this guy's design and was hoping you guys could help me out.
Everything was done in Blender.

For reference, here's another character that I did later on with who's look I'm a bit happier.

Replies

• dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Hey @repdigit, I'm digging the simplistic style and shading you have with these characters. I think you had a more cohesive design with your first guy compared to the newer model. Yeah, he's taking less risks with his outfit and design but I think he looks more put together. 

If you're trying to improve on his look or design of the guy in the red coat it can really help to know what kind of character or personality you're aiming for. At the moment he feels like a punk-hipster-demon-hunter kinda guy, but you could still push it further. 

Have you tried adding a different type of coat lapel? If you changed the color of the lapel or gave the collar a different shape it might break things up. You could also try bringing his coattails further down, but that might also come out looking too cliche. I'd either get rid of the arm bracers or change the design and color so they aren't so bright or distracting (they're the only thing that bright on the character). His gloves are pretty normal and he's wearing very simple knee-high boots (both could be made more interesting with some bigger silhouette changes). 

He has a sword scabbard on his back but no sword in sight. Maybe if you put a sword in the sheath or have him holding it then the accessory will have more of a point. You could also get a bit wild with the scabbard and add some more visual interest to it. I do really like your minimalistic approach to the guy, but I think you could really get something more out of reworking a few parts. Good luck man!
  • repdigit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're trying to improve on his look or design of the guy in the red coat it can really help to know what kind of character or personality you're aiming for. At the moment he feels like a punk-hipster-demon-hunter kinda guy, but you could still push it further. 
    I suppose this sums him up somewhat, though I was trying to avoid the hipster part, only I couldn't find any other hairstyle that fit the art style without looking boring. I'm trying to sell him as a self centered hired sword, emotionally reserved kind of guy.
    Have you tried adding a different type of coat lapel? If you changed the color of the lapel or gave the collar a different shape it might break things up.  I'd either get rid of the arm bracers or change the design and color so they aren't so bright or distracting (they're the only thing that bright on the character).
    I tried a few different lapels, but I ended up feeling like this one had the most interesting silhouette, I was going for a semi-militaristic uniform look with his coat so I didn't want to take the lapel or coat tails too far. Giving the lapel it's own color is a neat idea, that could add some visual interest too it, I'll definitely try it. The braces are a poor result of a long trial and error process and I agree they ended up looking shit, I'll definitely rework those from scratch.

The swords are missing from both characters because of the way the game is coded, so they are separate models, but it's pretty much a rip off of Excalibur from the new King Arthur movie, nothing too out there. I should probably add a bit more to the texture of the scabbard.

Thanks a lot for the input!
  • repdigit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I ended up adding a fold to both the gloves and the boots, scrapped the awful bracers and added ...hand guards I suppose.
    I'm not too sure about the coat lapel color and I'll probably play around with the torso detail a bit more in the future.