Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Coryn Briere: Portfolio Critique and Progression Thread

Spyte
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Spyte polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone! I'm a 2D artist looking for portfolio critiques. I'm actively applying to illustrator and concept art jobs. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Portfolio: https://www.corynbriere.com/

Here's a sample of my work. I'm not sure if I should include pixel art here or make a separate thread for it.

RainWorld fanart (contest)

Treasure (personal)

Isometric Biome Concept (personal)

Sidescroller Biome Concepts (personal game, dead)

Swamp Creature Concepts (Toby's Island, greenlit)

Replies

• Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Website Feedback
    Pros - Nice large thumbnails, loads quickly, and easy navigation. 
    Cons - Too many pages, no resume page.

When I looked for potential candidates I'd glance at their work to see if it was high enough quality and consistent work, and then go straight to the resume page. I'm not sure how I feel about selling stuff on a portfolio site, would love to hear opinions from others on this honestly.

Art Feedback
    Pros - Nice range of styles
    Cons - Some pieces look unfinished. Lots of creatures, not enough full characters/props/architecture.

Too many pieces in each category imo, not all of them are consistent in quality. I'd rather see 5-6 strong pieces than 10-12 mediocre ones. Would love to see "Gaming" turn into "Concepts" and be lots of line art with material swatches and turnarounds/breakdowns. If you're going for illustration/concept art I think
  • Spyte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spyte polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you Gannon! Excellent advice as always.
    * reduced the number of works in Illustration (by about half), and removed a few more from other pages
    * took out store page (I have an equivalent etsy page)
    * changed "Games" to "Concepts"

To do -
    * I'd like to tighten up a couple works left in illustration
    * Add resume (just needs a couple small adjustments)
    * Beef up Concept page

I should do a few large concept iteration pages. I think a good goal would be to do 1 props, 1 architecture, 1 character to start (?). I'll see if i can pull world inspiration from anything I already have, I am quite fond of fantasy themes. 

• Spyte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spyte polycounter lvl 5
    Here we go, some castle concepts and environmental pieces. I'll finish the dragon fountain and make a few more thumbnails. I'm not quite sure how to package this for the portfolio, though I figure it will be easier when there is more to work with.

This city has persisted despite inhospitable conditions, partially sheltered by the cliffs and sustained by fishing. Merchants that brave the cold arrive by boat, and oft trade for exotic animal parts endemic to this region.

A shrine to an acclaimed war leader who defended the early settlers. His surviving blood line is considered equal to noble houses; descendants continue his legacy by training new fighters and occupying the city's defence council. 

• Spyte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spyte polycounter lvl 5
    Currently building a Dojo — rough block-ins, missing stairs and appropriate carpet.

Door Progress
  • Spyte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spyte polycounter lvl 5
    I'm liking the style of this better, so I'm reworking the Dojo to have fewer components - door, floor, wall, shrine and pillars. I think this is a more manageable goal.

• Spyte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spyte polycounter lvl 5
    Support/Window/Door pieces. 

• Spyte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spyte polycounter lvl 5
    Still planning on doing more concepts, as well as cleaning up older illustrations.