Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] - Character Modeling Practiceing -Feedback/Critque/Advice required

Teyko
null
Offline / Send Message
Teyko null
Hey everyone, I'm trying to pick up on character modeling and currently working on a female character body.
I'm very unfamiliar with the Topology of human meshes or Characters in general and would like to ask for your feedback on what I currently have.
I also just picked up on Anatomy which is why my model is so super low poly.

The model has no legs as I struggle a lot with the lower part of the body I never know how to define the butt and how to work from the hips down to the legs. I've tried a few attempts with very unsatisfying results. so yea any advice feedback and critique are very welcomed!

[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Replies

• Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    Reference, lots of reference. There is lots of naked and still 'clean' reference out there. You really can't get around looking at it if you are going to model characters.
    As for your model, I think you are too low poly. I made the same mistake many times early on. That is enough polys to get the basic silhouette which you have done. For the legs I would extrude the 4 polys on each side down to foot length and then add edgeloops or polylines or whatever you call them and start shaping the leg. Arms seem too long. My 3D teacher tried to teach us 'proper' topology for animation during the early days of modeling characters. While he was correct, I spent way to long trying to incorporate those techniques into models that were this low poly and it just messes things up.
    If you are planning to port this to Zbrush or something then get your basic shape done and send it over. You can get a lot of the details put in quickly in Zbrush.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
  • Teyko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teyko null
    Skinner3D said:
    Reference, lots of reference. There is lots of naked and still 'clean' reference out there. You really can't get around looking at it if you are going to model characters.
    As for your model, I think you are too low poly. I made the same mistake many times early on. That is enough polys to get the basic silhouette which you have done. For the legs I would extrude the 4 polys on each side down to foot length and then add edgeloops or polylines or whatever you call them and start shaping the leg. Arms seem too long. My 3D teacher tried to teach us 'proper' topology for animation during the early days of modeling characters. While he was correct, I spent way to long trying to incorporate those techniques into models that were this low poly and it just messes things up.
    If you are planning to port this to Zbrush or something then get your basic shape done and send it over. You can get a lot of the details put in quickly in Zbrush.
    References are something I was uneasy with. I'm not sure whether I should look for finished models or human pictures. but ill do that!

I started with a cube that I smoothed but ill work on it.

as for the model the reason for the long arms is because it is an anime character, was following the template. 

thank you for the feedback and tips!
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Teyko said:
    References are something I was uneasy with. I'm not sure whether I should look for finished models or human pictures. but ill do that!

You should look for both. Use human references to study anatomy, wireframe renders of character models to study character topology, and finished models to use as a quality bar and inspiration.

Being uncomfortable staring at naked human bodies is something you absolutely have to get over if you want to be a character artist. You will need to develop a very detailed understanding of anatomy, and you won't be able to do so without reference.

Personally, I think it's easier to start out lowpoly. Keeping a mesh clean can be hard if your geometry is very dense.

I think the first steps should be to learn how to make simple lowpoly meshes with clean topology and good basic proportions. Once you have that down, you'll be able to use those skills to make a base mesh, and then you can start sculpting it in software such as Zbrush.