Home Technical Talk

Manifold Vertex in Maya

Asim7
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Asim7 polycounter lvl 8
Im fairly new to Maya, been working with Max up until now mostly.

I haven't encountered this problem before, and while google had some ideas for a fix, i couldn't seem to fix it that way.

When i try to smooth these edges, one of the edges dosn't want to smooth. It dosn't give me an error, but i can clearly see that it isn't smooth at all.
If i try to change stuff, or chamfer/bevel it. I do get the error that it is a non.manifold vertex. Im guessing that is probably also the problem for not wanting to smooth the edge.

Anyone know how i might fix this? Hopefully i don't have to remodel the entire mesh/skull.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    delte the face and create a new one... or cut around the vertex... delete all new faces and collapse the new open edges...
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It could be similar to this recent thread. It could also be a set of faces have backward normals too, Mesh Display>Conform Normals.

Box select that vertex and maybe try its neighbors too, check the HUD to see if there are multiple verts, edges or faces there. Or check in smooth mesh preview to get a quick look at how things are (or aren't) subdividing.
  • Asim7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asim7 polycounter lvl 8
    oglu said:
    delte the face and create a new one... or cut around the vertex... delete all new faces and collapse the new open edges...
    Tried that before posting, but didn't seem to work.

I found a temporary solution, which is to export it as a fbx and import it into 3ds Max. Max dosn't seem to have a problem with it and it smoothed it out just fine with the smoothing groups. But obviously that isn't the "right" or perfect solution. For now i will see if it will work, or if i will get problems later on. So far it dosn't create problems in Substance or Unity.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I usually select the vertex, grow selection, then use Detach component in vertex mode to split all connections. Then select them again and use weld vertices with a low threshold. It should work, but then you have to redo your soft/hard edges and sew UV's.
  • Asim7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asim7 polycounter lvl 8
    huffer said:
    I usually select the vertex, grow selection, then use Detach component in vertex mode to split all connections. Then select them again and use weld vertices with a low threshold. It should work, but then you have to redo your soft/hard edges and sew UV's.
    For now im just going to move on with the one i imported from 3ds Max, as i am already far in the high poly modeling by now. But i will definantly go back though. I want to solve this problem, so i understand it better in the future. I will try what you said, though i think i did something similair.

As far as i can see, all the normals are pointing in the right direction and i don't have multiple vertices. It seems to be that the program just dosn't like me having a lot of faces sharing one vertex.. which if that is true, seems weird to me. I never encountered such problems in other 3d software. Im still getting used to Maya.