Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Personal M4 Carbine. WORK IN PROGRESS. Would like Critique and Constructive Criticism

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Model/Wireframe:

First Pass Texture:

Sketchfab Model(So you can rotate):
https://sketchfab.com/models/78dfad5faf4c4aa0a61780c9e0b55c84

Rotation Gif:
Attached gif file

Current Render:

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    Looks like a really solid start.

Probably the most obvious thing that stands out as soon as I look at your wireframe is that you have a lot of unnecessary geo.  Pretty much anywhere you have edge loops that don't change the silhouette or are needed for smoothing can be removed/welded.
  • jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    Did you use a normal map for this model? The hand grip looks very sharp on the edges as does the magazine. I would work on this for your next project. On the whole well done ,you got the detail in and the shapes down, now you just need to implement some new techniques to your work flow to get even better.  
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Good effort man, here are some critiques 

• Michael_WorkAccount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for all of the responses! They really helped. I did use a normal and the grip has a few too little polygons. I will get to work on all the things that you mentioned
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I would say localize your dirt and wear more.  Add it where it would make sense.  Have some spec breakup but you don't need dirt and damage everywhere.  Add nice edgewear instead.  
  • Michael_WorkAccount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a really solid start.

Probably the most obvious thing that stands out as soon as I look at your wireframe is that you have a lot of unnecessary geo.  Pretty much anywhere you have edge loops that don't change the silhouette or are needed for smoothing can be removed/welded.
    I try to keep things clean and easy to manipulate, which unfortunately creates some unnecessary geometry. I did, however, keep the model to under 12K polygons. After reading your response, I have gone through the mesh and deleted any edges that don't serve any visual or UV purposes.

jaker3278 said:
    Did you use a normal map for this model? The hand grip looks very sharp on the edges as does the magazine. I would work on this for your next project. On the whole well done ,you got the detail in and the shapes down, now you just need to implement some new techniques to your work flow to get even better.  
    Yes there is a normal and a height map. However, the hand grip is quite low poly . I was able to shift the UV map so that I can smooth the edges of the mesh. Thank you for the response and I will work more on the edge flow for my next project. 

Good effort man, here are some critiques 

The image and details are VERY useful. I appreciate the effort highly. Some of the critiques have already been fixed(as seen inn the current render) but I am thankful that you caught them and for the advice. I have taken the time to go through each of the critiques and make changes based on them.