Home Technical Talk

smoothing groups on maya ?

deckseck
vertex
Offline / Send Message
deckseck vertex
hi i have seen that in max you can choose faces to do smoothing groups and then with chamfer modifier subdivide .
In maya you can do it something like that i thought could be use hard edges + bevel only in the hard edges but sometimes give issues when i subdivided
thanks for all

Replies

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Smoothing groups is a Max only thing but all it does is generate the hard edges anyway. Can you show us what issue you're having? 
  • deckseck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deckseck vertex
    okey  thank you very much
    that is the isiue
  • deckseck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deckseck vertex
    i made a test and i see if i continiue the edge along the side solved the issue but i dont undrstand how works hard edges on maya becouse besides those new edges should not be harden

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Check your Attribute Editor for that specific construction history node.  You'll find a "Smoothing Angle" parameter.  This determines whether an edge is hard or soft after beveling.  The default is probably something like 30 or 45 degrees.  The higher this value, the more edges adjacent to the bevel that will be soft.  It's really a non-issue, as you can go back and harden or soften specific edges any time you want.

As a side note, hard edges do not interfere with the smooth preview.  If you have a hard edge when smoothed, it means you have bad topology in that area.
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, your hard surface workflow is obsolete, now artists use the rounded edge shader (aka bevel shader) of Blender Cycles 2.79.1+ (free) or Modo, VRay, Houdini and Redshift because it works with every topology so you can use substract booleans modifiers everywhere and it works great with text too. The meshes gets rounded edge without an union booleans, you just need them to intersect and to have them in the same editable mesh object. The generated rounded edges can be baked on a normal map.

An example with your model in Blender:

An example with a more advanced model and subtracts boolean texts:

Tutorial on Blender (in french):

https://youtu.be/wdaraOkqt04
    Tutorial on Modo in english:

https://youtu.be/EHkbCQQykAg
    Arnold render does not support it yet, you must purchase Redshift if you want this effect in Maya and I don't know if you can bake with it. For free you have Blender's recent builds, it supports it for both rendering and map baking.

For smoothing group you are talking about edge splits used to fix the smoothing by disconnecting the edges. 3ds max's smoothing system with numbers is a mess and not based on the edge angle. Unfortunately Maya has no modifier I guess his hard edge tool edit the normals.
    Blender uses a modifier so edges are disconnected internally, it's non-destructive and sharp edges can be marked, you can find more infos about edge splits here: https://docs.blender.org/manual/ko/dev/modeling/modifiers/generate/edge_split.html

Detached edges or using an edge split modifier works with rounded edge shader, that's how we work with it, the workflow is similiar to low poly modeling with the difference that we apply a bevel shader.

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Obsolete is a strong word...
  • deckseck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deckseck vertex
    okey i think i understand all a lot of thanks for the info to all  your coments have be so helpful
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    @Linko I'm going to have to agree with Axi5 here about chamfer modeling based on smoothing groups/hard edges being obsolete.  Rounded edge technique is simply another approach that works.  A vast amount of people still use subdivision modeling.  Both methods have benefits and drawbacks.

Regardless, OP is using Maya, not any of the other software you listed.  It doesn't solve his problem or answer his question by swooping in and saying "drop what you're doing and use this other program instead!"  A fine suggestion as an alternative but not a solution.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    decksack: Try changing the miltering to none and smooth preview.
  • deckseck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deckseck vertex
    decksack: Try changing the miltering to none and smooth preview.
    i try it and fixed it thank you man

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Axi5 said:
    Obsolete is a strong word...
    Not as strong as the one I was going to use to describe the claim made ;)