Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Looking for Junior Environment Artists to Beta test New Art Course...

KevlarOxy
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
KevlarOxy null
Hi, I've created a new course on Udemy called, The ART of Video Games, and I'm looking for (serious) Beta testers. It's for beginners that are interested in game environment art (not characters or animation), have already been experimenting and want to pursue it seriously. The course will take you through the production pipeline, starting from a blank page, creating ALL assets (no downloading from a store). You'll start by learning to model, then create simple white box models and move onto high detailed models and maps (there is no sculpting at this level). All assets will be created in 3DS Max. You'll be taught how to use Substance Painter to create the maps and then build the scene in Unity. Light it, add particles, walk around it and end up with a high quality scene and portfolio of work. The course will be kept live and updated constantly with new tutorials, lessons and assets every six weeks or so. I have five FREE coupons to give away to serious students. You'll be taught by a veteran of the industry who has been making game art for 30 years. Let me know your interest by responding and i will pick five of you to go forward at the weekend (or thereabouts)... just give me a reason to pick you :) For those who are interested and doesn't get a free coupon, I will provide seriously discounted coupons at a later date, once the Beta is over. Thanks.

Replies

• Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    I'd be interested if I can work with Blender in lieu of 3Dsmax. I'm a full time warehouse manager and I have a toddler. Been learning bits and pieces of 3D art when I can but I'm still a beginner. This sounds like it could be a lot of fun though and I'd like to help you out.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
  • KevlarOxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KevlarOxy null
    To answer the questions...

- What I am offering right now is free. You don't have to pay anything with the free coupons I am going to give away. Once Beta is over, new students will pay to join, but it will remain free for you, including ALL updates (there are several planned already).
     - No, it's not live. It is on Udemy, so the course is video based and you will watch through (210 - 40 hours) lectures that teach you how to create environment art at your own pace. You can pause, replay and watch it over and over if you wish. To check Udemy's format, just got to www.Udemy.com and take a look.
     - I don't have anything Nothing right now on UE4, but i am working on it. Whoever joins this course, will get massive discounts on future courses.
     - You could use Blender if you already know how to use it. I do teach you how to model and how to use 3DS Max as it's used in our industry as one of the standard applications. You can download it and use it for free for 1 month, and I'm sure they'll extend that if you tell them you're on a course, but don't quote me on that. It's also free for 3 years if you're a student and have access to a student email address. I don't teach Blender, but if you know how to use it, i'm pretty sure you can build the same objects in Blender. The modelling fundamentals are pretty much the same, but the application is obviously different.
    - Yes, you can comment on the course within the course itself. I have also set-up a Facebook page just for students on the course so you can ask anything on there and i, or other students, will help or answer any questions you might have.

If anybody has any further questions, please ask away.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @KevlarOxy
    Where is your work?  I think it may be helpful to understand what sort of teacher they are working with.
  • brettmarshalltucker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brettmarshalltucker polycounter lvl 2
    I would be very interested in this course. I am pursuing environment art professionally and have some experience working with indie projects but mostly work on my own. All knowledge I have has been learned from YouTube piecemeal along with figuring things out on my own. I would love some fresh perspective from an industry professional to ensure that my practices are correct and to learn new things.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Unreal, Unity, and Lumberyard are free.  I'd just download them regardless of a class.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moving this from Career & Education, to Collaboration & Unpaid Work.
  • KevlarOxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KevlarOxy null
    Here is an image of the final work you will learn to create... This is rendered in Unity. And yes... this is my work (Brian).

• KevlarOxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KevlarOxy null
    Hi...

- Free coupon lasts forever.
    - There is no specific date to release to the public as yet, but i am aiming for end of February or thereabouts.
    - Yes, Unity has a free personal version so you do not need to buy it :)

Thanks
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Did anyone ever get an invite?
  • KevlarOxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KevlarOxy null
    Hey Crawl, yes several did join up :) It's going live near the end of the month...
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    KevlarOxy said:
    Hey Crawl, yes several did join up :) It's going live near the end of the month...
    Ah ok, so I just wasn't picked. Thanks anyways. Good luck with the course.
  • KevlarOxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KevlarOxy null
    Hi Crawl, I will be giving away a couple more free coupons to join, so i will keep you on my list. Is environment art something you are interested in? Have you done anything to date? Thanks.
  • KevlarOxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KevlarOxy null
    Hi all... thank you for all the interest in the course. We no longer need any Beta testers, the course has now gone live on the UDEMY website. If anybody would like to check it out, you can link to it through my YouTube channel below. If you go through this route, you will get a hugely discounted coupon as a thank you. It is only available until March 31st, so grab it while you can.

Thanks again and here's the link to the YouTube video promoting the course... you will find the discount coupon link in the comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DReucWWIj8&t=1s

or... direct to UDEMY...

https://www.udemy.com/the-art-of-video-games/

• Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Hey @KevlarOxy
    Just saw your message back from February, sorry! I've done a little bit for a class I had. Built out a pirate cove in UE4 filled with props. It was fun. Since then I've fallen in love with ZBrush and characters but I'm always down to learn as much as possible. I'll be starting at Think Tank in June so I'll need some more environment tutorials anyways. Thanks for the link!