Home Technical Talk

UDIM's versus Single UV map

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
YannickStoot polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys!

I've been roaming the forum but have not found this exact question. I am trying to create a dice asset for online stores with a Substance material. Because I don't know how the object is used and that it is sold for mass market I will need to make it for the most broad usage. In my case I can assume that it is sometimes used as a Hero asset so I need to make it in a high texel density as well.

When normalising the UV's to a texel density of 20,48 I get the following:

When normalising the UV's to a texel density of 40,96 I get this:

Note: With this size I need to use UDIMS which is really not ideal because of the texture space it will take up.

When filling the space I get a texel density of 27,80:

So I'm quite torn on this one. It seems like UDIM is the only good balance between UV space but it comes at the cost of doubling the draw calls.

Can you guys give me some feedback on what would be the right approach to this problem?

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    if it's for realtime graphics don't use UDM, its more used in the VFX industry. For realtime graphics draw calls and in this case compatibility are very important. Out of the box not many realtime engines support UDM, so why do you want to go for UDM?

Here is my suggestion, go with a non square texture and waste less pixels

At 2k x 4k perhaps still in your texel size target?
  • YannickStoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YannickStoot polycounter lvl 3
    renderhjs said:
    if it's for realtime graphics don't use UDM, its more used in the VFX industry. For realtime graphics draw calls and in this case compatibility are very important. Out of the box not many realtime engines support UDM, so why do you want to go for UDM?

Here is my suggestion, go with a non square texture and waste less pixels

At 2k x 4k perhaps still in your texel size target?
    The whole point of UDIM was indeed that I needed a non square texture. You have no idea how silly I feel. This solution has been in my face the whole time.Thanks man, this probably saved me a day of headaches!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    ha ha no worries, thought there was something odd. If you can't set up the UV area to be distorted just scale the UVs vertically by 0.5 in a square, its the same in the end anyway, e.g.

UV's are just numbers from 0 - 1, its the texture that dictates the aspect ratio.