Home Technical Talk

Help needed on beveling cylinders

null
Offline / Send Message
HaxLee null
Hello guys, I'm working on this cylinder for a high-poly counterpart, have my head scratched on this problem the whole day and tried off different poly cuts, still no use.

What I'm trying to do is to have this beveling along the cylinder like this one (low-poly)

This is what I did so far for the highpoly counterpart

But I get undesirable pinching whenever I smoothen it out

Here's a view from another angle

It would be nice if anyone knows a trick around this.

Replies

• SebastianBielecki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SebastianBielecki polycounter lvl 4
    Your problem is in low poly geometry - cylinder you are tying to smooth has to small amount of sides. Try rebuild this HP version with 48 or even 96 sides cylinder (don't worry use that big amount of sides - High Poly will only benefit on this) - your problem will go away :)
  • HaxLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HaxLee null
    Your problem is in low poly geometry - cylinder you are tying to smooth has to small amount of sides. Try rebuild this HP version with 48 or even 96 sides cylinder (don't worry use that big amount of sides - High Poly will only benefit on this) - your problem will go away :)
    Ahh I see. So instead of having like one face as a bevel, I use multiple faces?
  • SebastianBielecki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes - i don't know how you started to make this shape, but easiest solution would be using a cylinder. Below you have an example. Btw i don't use Maya - i'm Max fan ;)
    First shape i made like you have LP - 12 sided cylinder. Second one 48 sided cylinder. 4 loops more and your problem will go away :)

• HaxLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HaxLee null
    Yes - i don't know how you started to make this shape, but easiest solution would be using a cylinder. Below you have an example. Btw i don't use Maya - i'm Max fan ;)
    First shape i made like you have LP - 12 sided cylinder. Second one 48 sided cylinder. 4 loops more and your problem will go away :)

I started with cylinder as well, I tried with what you said about working with 48 sided cylinder and it works like a charm! :smile:
    Guessing that's the little difference between Maya and Max

• SebastianBielecki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Happy to help man :D Good luck!