Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

(POLYCOUNT RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017 - ILLUSTRATION) Aurelion Sol

TinyTRex
vertex
Offline / Send Message
TinyTRex vertex
Hi, this is my WIP thread for my Aurelion Sol piece. More to come. Please comment with any thoughts, feelings or critiques :)

Replies

• TinyTRex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TinyTRex vertex
    I decided to start drafting more poses and layouts digitally. 

Wasn't really satisfied or happy with anything and I was still struggling with making macro decisions about the piece and even envisioning it myself properly. 

(Considerations) 

This was unacceptable as splash art. 

This was more acceptable but it felt...meh? And I wasn't satisfied that it captured Sol's power and scale appropriately.

Similar dilemma here as the draft above. It's also hard to see Sol's face or get much emotion or expression this way, again, similar to the draft above. 

Same issue, I didn't like the idea of Sol rising out of the clouds, with them cascading off him, like a serpentine titan freshly risen out of the sea, and the idea of a vortex around him, with the sun gate in the background. Still the issue of his face and lack of depth here. 

This felt like it had slightly more potential. It was more dynamic. However I wasn't sure what story I wanted to be telling here and was still debating that. I didn't like having a normal face here since it felt generic. 

This version looked cooler, with him ulting, seemed like it might work if he was unleashed or if he is crushing the other guardians, but I think it would be unacceptable as splash art since his face is mostly hidden while he is roaring. And again, since his face is semi-hidden it dilutes his expressiveness and he is left more two-dimensional. The Lunar Guardians are angry, which Sol needs to be as well, but he also needs to be more than that. 
  • TinyTRex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TinyTRex vertex

Wanted to do a bunch of things (Blood Moon set, Dragon Slayer set etc.), but first and foremost wanted to do something with Aurelion Sol. He is my favorite character in the entire game and story. I really like his look from his original splash art, it is very unique, especially his face. However, he still doesn't look quite like a dragon and I wanted to explore a different approach to his visual representation while retaining his core identity. Given his semi-serpentine appearance and animation, there was a lot of potential to experiment with an asian inspired look utilizing either the Blood Moon or Lunar splash theme styles. 

In the end, Lunar Guardian seemed the best fit for Aurelion, aesthetically and lore/personality-wise. 

This was my first sketch/concept draft: 

There were problems with the draft. There were things that needed to be removed, altered and added.

Also explored the idea of a more bullish skull, closer to his original look, but threw that out since it would pretty much defeat the purpose of taking advantage of this theme. I had considered doing a Dragonlord/Dragonslayer splash with other characters in addition to Sol, and that seems like it would a more appropriate venture to push his bullish/western-dragon features. But that will be a different project. 

I had a lot of things to consider, and a lot of innate challenges given the reality of Sol's character design and how they can be difficult to address effectively in a way that would include and follow Riot's illustrative style (contrasting color, depth and scale, incorporating most of the character and highlighting features and personality).

Some other things I needed to consider:

- Was this going to be a regular skin splash, if so how do I adjust the style to make sure it can be represented in a portrait and in game properly?

- How would I capture Sol's identity, through the design of the piece, his own design, his posture and expression?

- Would I incorporate other characters, how prominently would they be featured? 

- Would I be telling a story, if so which story - Sol being tricked by the Targonian Empire, summoned and shackled by them, reigning over the Lunar Guardians or fighting them?

- How do I position Sol to incorporate the themes of the skin, his personality and also splash art requirements (if I was truly going to make this a skin splash)?

- Since I am taking a risk by changing some of his face, I need to make sure I do not make something that appears generic or devoid of Sol's personal identity as he would be as a Lunar Guardian - how do I make sure I do that?

- I also needed to make sure this piece was truly unique and did not resemble any other work too closely, and that it could not be confused with another theme?

- Blah blah blah etc. etc. 

There were a lot of challenges here, but I am not doing this to make something "meh" or easy. I will find a way. 

I started doing more drafts by hand.

Another draft of a potential head/orientation: 

Playing with head orientations: 

Playing with poses: 

Original Aurelion Sol (splash art) body proportions: 

• TinyTRex
  • TinyTRex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TinyTRex vertex
    Polycount apparently won't let me cancel posts or delete pictures that I have uploaded into the drafting area so unfortunately that's why there are so many screenshots here. I was GOING to upload them and then just select a few I thought were appropriate but whatever. 
  • TinyTRex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TinyTRex vertex

Unfortunately the project will have to end here. There is no time left and I can't even paint between Affinity Photo bugging out and my computer getting overwhelmed and seizing up. #feelsbad. Sad that a 2.6k machine, even if a laptop, still can't handle this workload but then again I should probably save up and build a pc versus relying on this MacBook Pro  (stretching the last part there, as Apple always does). I have mixed feelings about this so far. It's extremely hard to see in this sketch but almost everything is basically laid out minus details. I'm still extremely conflicted on countless aspects of the piece but overall it's getting closer. Again, shame - would have been nicer to have more time, but not bad given both design conception and development so far has taken less than 24 hours total. I am also a little more satisfied this actually looks more like Aurelion in a Lunar New Year skin. It's nothing like the first pencil sketch which was much more graceful, but I feel like this is getting closer to the balance it needed to have between that first draft look, Aurelion's traditional look, and the established style for the splash art line. There are also several drafts for his crown. I feel there needs to be a crown since that has become a signature look for Aurelion, and would help keep him recognizable. I left those drafts out of this screenshot. I may upload the current versions I am deciding between next. Not sure. Either way I will keep on with this piece to develop it into the best product possible and see it through as best I can with the tools I have. I also have a very detailed journal about the development process and all the decisions etc which I will eventually include with the final piece. Till then, cheers.