Home Technical Talk

Maya Arnold 'Use Derivatives' Question

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Noth polycounter lvl 15
I can't figure out what 'Use Derivatives' does. Anyone? (I've searched high and low online) Thanks!

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that from Arnold? (it's not an option on a vanilla bump2d) This was the first hit on google for me.

"Enables the use of derivative normal maps. If you disable 'Use Derivatives' when using tangent-space normal mapping, the bump shader uses the tangent and bitangent data stored on the mesh. Otherwise (by default), the bump shader will use the UV surface derivatives from the Arnold shading globals."
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 15
    Lol, thanks! I couldn't find anything. Yes, it's from Arnold.
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 15
    So a potential use-case for this would be when you've baked something specifically for a low poly mesh VS tiling a normal map over complex forms maybe? When you've baked something specifically for a LP object, you'll want to use their tangent/bi-normals since your normal map is baked to consider them. If you're tiling a texture you might want to disregard the objects normals? and it wouldn't make a difference on a flat plane? Cheers.
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 15
    Oh okay, it's just use a derivatives normal map. Which is a normal map without the Blue channel.