Home Technical Talk

Beginner zbrush/maya map frustration

Adamp34
node
Offline / Send Message
Adamp34 node
so I’m learning how to use zbrush and I’m at the end of my first mini project. I want to export the Usual maps but nothing appears to be working correctly. I remember having a hard time with the same process in mudbox so I’m pretty sure it’s easy to solve.....I hope

my displacement map seems to not be displacing at all. I’m rendering in Arnold- I’ve outputted a 5k map as I’m going in close. Flipped v, smoothed Uvs and exported a 3 channel exr 32bit. It doesn’t seem to have any effect on my model at all. I’ve increased subdiv levels to 2/4/6 in the Arnold settings. When I uncheck use alpha as luminance on the file node it goes from 0 to marshmallow so I have to decrease the scale on the displacement node to stupid small like 0.01 which basically had no effect on the model again. During ‘marshmallow’ stages my model does not show any signs of actual detail either, it’s like I’ve just put a solid white square as a displacement and it’s all equally puffing up. If checked the file in photoshop and it looks ok. I’m running out of ideas.

also...ha..... my normal map seems to have the low res poly mesh in it as well as all the high res detail. :(

Replies