Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
JordonBritz polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys! I recently began seriously working on portfolio work, I have a few things up currently and wanted some advice as to what I could improve upon, and what would help me get to the level of my first internship or job. All critique is welcome, thank you! 
https://www.artstation.com/jordanb

Replies

• Felixenfeu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    That's a very freaking solid first porfolio. Nice work.

I would say maybe make more complexe scenes. Only the "Space" piece  looks like it has lot of varied objects and story. The 3 other scenes, even though the shading, lighting and everything is great, have a lot of duplicate meshes.

If you wanna work in games, I'd say skip Octane and start making more scenes right in game engines, like unity and Unreal. Game engine and renderer are pretty close to each other nowadays (Both are PBR, both use GI, etc.). 
  • JordonBritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's something I noticed as well, I definitely should work on more complex scenes and start rendering in UE4 or Unity, I'll start working in one of them and post future work using one of the two. Thank you so much for the advice!
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah definitely drop your stuff in a real time game engine.

I'd also suggest having a breakdown of your work. You need to show a pic of the wireframe, high poly mesh, texture sheets etc. to let employers know that you understand the workflow. That's a must for the first job!

Otherwise keep at it! :)
  • JordonBritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tobbo, Thank you so much for the feedback! I'm going to start posting all my new work in UE4 it looks like, and I'll post texture sheets/wireframes too. Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate the replies!
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Yeah your work is pretty good! I just want to see more environments/props that can be used for games, right now they are all just high quality renders, but not anything I could imagine for a game. Just start making some environments for games and you should be good!
  • JordonBritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alemja Thank you! I'm definitely just going to scrap Octane and work with UE4 for my future work :D you guys are awesome, thank you so much for the advice and critique.