Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Would love some thoughts on my portfolio!!

smealer
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
smealer polycounter lvl 4
Just started to apply for environmental design jobs and really would love some critique. Please and thank you! 

https://smealer.artstation.com 

Tell me what I do Well, and maybe what I should do more of? And what I need to improve on! Thanks guys 

Replies

• smealer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you optimus!:)
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    - Don't showcase characters in your portfolio if you apply for environmental job position
    - Pick a specialization, either characters or environments.
    - Don't show unfinished work.
    - If you apply for a video game job show video game ready assets
    - Show wires and texture flats to show you understand the technical aspect of making art for games

These are just a few pointers but the best tip I can give you is to stop applying for now and focus on building a better portfolio because what you have right now won't get you a job. I know it sound harsh but trust me, all you need right now is to improve as an artist. Find the portfolio of artists already working in the industry and get your portfolio at the same quality as theirs.

You clearly have a good grasp of the tools and the technical fundamentals but you need to create more stuff, to practice and become a better artist before you can get a job.
  • smealer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate your words and thank you for the tips! And harsh is what I need currently! Can't change if I don't know what needs to change!
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I believe your strongest piece is your Broken Castle, because it demonstrates you can take your high poly props into sculpting. 

But I think it's haphazard to apply with what you have right now. For starters, you have both character art and environment art. It's always advised to focus on one discipline as both require high attention to detail and splitting your resources will only mean 2x the work. 

Looking at your Dragon Lands, one immediate thing that stood out to me was the artstyle. It's 99% seems like you wanted to do something stylized, but I still see other elements mixed in. For example, why does the tree trunk texture looks like it's a photo? This should be handpainted.

I'm also a bit confused by your roughness maps. They seem to be photos or ran through a generator of some sort. You need to think of your roughness as being different from your albedo/diffuse textures. They represent surface detail that dictate how light will run across it. So you need to consider painting in detail that should be very rough or hard (i.e dirt, dust and rust) as well as combining it with other surface properties that can be smooth or blurry (i.e water, paint, sticky substance etc).

Speaking of the environment itself, I would invest in telling a better story. Since the name is "Dragon Lands" I would include more detail that sells the idea that it's either set in a medieval-esque setting or it is in fact home to dragons. Right now you have foliage, some pillars and barrels. How did those barrels get there or what is their purpose? I would include more proof or reasons why Humans would be in that world.
  • smealer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol man I'm getting a lot of feed back!! This is good gives me a lot to work on and think about! Thank you!!
  • Ayples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ayples vertex
    As others are saying, you just need a clearer focus. Looking at the dragon land I thought you were going more for realism and the barrels completely threw me off at the bottom. If you're going to handpaint you really have to paint everything by hand. Also with things like breakage in the columns, get reference to how and where those would break down since they look super random right now. It's really obvious they're reused. Modularity is great but you have to be able to hide it better. The same column is even in your castle sculpt. 

Also I'd spend more time on lighting and set dressing. I think it would serve you better to make a smaller space and focus getting tight shots in there. You can make or break sculpts with lighting. Really need some storytelling assets as well I think. You're mostly doing big architectural stuff and you need small and medium sized assets to get a full picture.
  • smealer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya I agree man I went into my file and basically rethought everything. I made the whole level smaller and broke down what I need to include and a better idea of what assets I need instead of reusing what I have. You make a great point with the hand textures I need something wasn't mixing well and u nailed it. Thank you a lot guys! I will post again in a week or so for more feed back!!
    :)