Home Technical Talk

How to make the illusion of a 3d object from a 2d image?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Korvas polycounter lvl 4
I'm looking to make something like this:

But as an asset I can put into unity. I would like to hand-paint 2D backgrounds and add the illusion of depth without using flat parallax layers. One option might be using projection mapping though I would like to avoid having to 3D model when possible, but any suggestion for a possible workflow is welcome. (I primarily use Maya)

Alternatively I would just like to know how the image above was made, haha.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    I had goofed around with this before. I don't recall if this is the site I used, but it's the same effect. You just paint or render a depth map and the tool does the rest.

I found this while trying to remember the name, it covers some other techniques for doing it by hand.
    https://patdavid.net/2014/02/25d-parallax-animated-photo-tutorial.html
  • Korvas
    Offline / Send Message
    Korvas polycounter lvl 4
    I've actually used Depthy before, here was my result. I don't like using the 3rd party website though and want to know how they generate their images in the first place. It would be nice to have a similar setup of an alpha depth map and an image. 

I'll link your second tut for future reference but I already know how to set up a 2.5D parallax.
  • SeveredScion
    Offline / Send Message
    SeveredScion polycounter lvl 12
    cheapo method would be just use parallax map in Unity's default standard shader
  • throttlekitty
    Korvas said:
    I've actually used Depthy before, here was my result. I don't like using the 3rd party website though and want to know how they generate their images in the first place. It would be nice to have a similar setup of an alpha depth map and an image. 

I'll link your second tut for future reference but I already know how to set up a 2.5D parallax.
    Maybe not the answer you're looking for, but depthy is open source and looks like you can run it locally.

The "easy" way would involve two renders of a 3d scene: beauty and depth.

From hand-painted images, I'd suggest keeping a lot of masks as you work. Start with flat fills to represent depth layers and paint in gradients where you need them, borrow color from your paint if possible.

Also, looks like the source art from the OP is hand-drawn, which meant he'd have to work entirely from scratch for painting depth. They've got a ton of tutorials too. Semi related link, but it doesn't look like they talked about the parallax pics at all.