Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique for Junior 3D Artist

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Korina polycounter lvl 9
Hi, guys, I'm planning to apply for a junior 3d artist position in Ubisoft Philippines after the new year. Think my portfolio and the skills shown is good enough?

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    My first thought is where are your real time pieces? Unless Ubisoft does their own internal cinematics, you're at a disadvantage. 

Having high poly sculpts is ok, but you need game ready meshes to show you understand the complete pipeline. How did you texture, how did you retopologize, how did you bake down the sculpt and make normal maps from it, how did you successfully import it into a game engine etc.

But even ignoring the game ready aspect, there's also a case of the fundamentals you need to grasp. For example, where is your PBR texturing? Your materials right now are very flat or use basic colors. If you're going hand painted, you need to show you can paint skin textures really well. 

For realism, where are the wrinkles? Can you sculpt them? 

I'd also work on presentation and lighting. You have characters mostly just floating in space or behind mono background. Look into using 3 point lighting and giving your characters subsurface scattering to appear more "organic" vs doll or plastic looking.
  • Korina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Korina polycounter lvl 9
    JordanN said:
    My first thought is where are your real time pieces? Unless Ubisoft does their own internal cinematics, you're at a disadvantage. 

Having high poly sculpts is ok, but you need game ready meshes to show you understand the complete pipeline. How did you texture, how did you retopologize, how did you bake down the sculpt and make normal maps from it, how did you successfully import it into a game engine etc.

But even ignoring the game ready aspect, there's also a case of the fundamentals you need to grasp. For example, where is your PBR texturing? Your materials right now are very flat or use basic colors. If you're going hand painted, you need to show you can paint skin textures really well. 

For realism, where are the wrinkles? Can you sculpt them? 

I'd also work on presentation and lighting. You have characters mostly just floating in space or behind mono background. Look into using 3 point lighting and giving your characters subsurface scattering to appear more "organic" vs doll or plastic looking.
    Thank you for your critique, JordanN, I'll get to work on these right away!
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    what @JordanN said. You need to work a lot more on your texturing skills. Also retopology, baking maps, rigging? Presentation! Export to UE4 and show a wireframe. Most of your images are screenshots from the viewport right now.
  • Korina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Korina polycounter lvl 9
    defragger said:
    what @JordanN said. You need to work a lot more on your texturing skills. Also retopology, baking maps, rigging? Presentation! Export to UE4 and show a wireframe. Most of your images are screenshots from the viewport right now.
    Yeah, I'll show that too, I'm making a table with wizard stuff showing PBR shading. Still on the modeling part, I just finished watching a tutorial in Blender Guru about that and about composition, and photorealism too. Thanks for the critique, defragger! Here's what I'm trying to do and where I am right now. I'm going for PBR textures using Blender.
  • Korina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Korina polycounter lvl 9
    Hi, guys, just wanna show where I am right now with the warlock table. I saw some videos on composition and lighting and I'm currently trying to find out what's best. I looked at Blender Guru's vid on lighting and he was right in renders needing to have a point, like it's more beautiful like that, so he had 5 questions to help answer that and here are my answers.

1. What is the point of this render?
    - Show the beautiful complication of the details.

2. Is there a story? If so, in what order should the viewer read the image?
    -It's a messy wizard's table. He was reading that spell book and making notes about it for a spell, and also slightly started on gathering the ingredients on the table.

3. What should the viewer be focused on?
    -Book, and the beautiful details of the objects on the scene.

4. What emotion or mood do you want the viewers to feel?
    -Interest.

5. What lighting styles could have the most impact or appeal?
    - no answer yet.

• Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Get this in a real time game engine ASAP! You're probably not going to be doing 2-3 hour renders as a 3D artist in a game company. Everything should be rendered presented in a real time game engine. Use Blender for modeling and UV's and then move on. 

Look into Substance Painter and Designer. 

If you're wanting to get a job in the industry look at the job postings on Artstation or similar. Many applications are specifically interested in texture work being done in Substance Painter and Designer. There's a reason for that!

Become familiar with what is going to be expected from you.

All the best! :)
  • Korina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Korina polycounter lvl 9
    Tobbo said:
    Get this in a real time game engine ASAP! You're probably not going to be doing 2-3 hour renders as a 3D artist in a game company. Everything should be rendered presented in a real time game engine. Use Blender for modeling and UV's and then move on. 

Look into Substance Painter and Designer. 

If you're wanting to get a job in the industry look at the job postings on Artstation or similar. Many applications are specifically interested in texture work being done in Substance Painter and Designer. There's a reason for that!

Become familiar with what is going to be expected from you.

All the best! :)
    Okay, I'll look into that too, Tobbo, and check out the game engines, thank you for the advice!
  • Korina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Korina polycounter lvl 9
    Guys, so I did what you said and tried substance painter, the difference is amaaaaaaaazing!!!!!!!