Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Trijicon ACOG Sight - Looking For Critique

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
eCstatic polycounter lvl 14
ANOTHER UPDATE:

model

I'd love to get some feedback and criticisms on this.

ACOG Scope I'm working on. Im trying really hard to keep the geometry joined as a single mesh. Its still a bit rough around the edges and still needs more work I'll update this thread as I make more progress.

Replies

• eCstatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some details and made some progress

• eCstatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to call the HP finished for now

• wormo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wormo polycounter lvl 5
    Looking really good to me, nice work with the topology. Can you post an image without the wireframe for us to see?
  • Bigg__D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigg__D polycounter lvl 4
    Nice work man, I remember when I modeled the ACOG, really interesting shape. I used boolean in some areas to merge shapes then some clean up. But good job dude I like it. 
  • eCstatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. I avoided using booleans in this one because I found that it messed with my topology too much, but its something I'm considering learning to master in future projects. Here's some shots without wireframe, I will start on the LowPoly and unwrapping soon.

• Bigg__D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigg__D polycounter lvl 4
    Nice, Iooks like you're using Max yeah? Question for you bro, do you use quad chamfer modifier for high poly phase? If so, do you use the one that ships with Max or the one from Marius Silaghi? I think Marius plugin looks like it has a superior algorithm to Max's version I mean its only $40 so it shouldnt be too much of a "decision" lol but just curious. Also thinking about checking out Moi 3d which is a solids modeler like fusion or solid works but made for artists, you should check it out man. It might help speed us up in making some of these machined parts for our projects. 
  • eCstatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Ready for baking.

Bigg__D You got it, its MAX. I have played around with MOI before and I can only get simple shapes in it so far. I cant find that much useful tutorials for it apart from simpler shapes, if you have any feel free to share. Im not using any chamfer mods just old fashioned edge loops, I do my High Poly first then clone it and delete the extra loops and retopo wherever I can for less poly's.
  • eCstatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thinking of calling this one finished, not sure what else to add. I would extremely appreciate any critique and advice I'm always looking to better myself. The Scope itself is a rubber compound and the bottom rail is metal.

model
  • cromadbomber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10

Also feel free to add some more geometry to it.
  • eCstatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cromadbomber Thanks for the solid suggestions, doing all those things will definitely take it to the next level. I thought about it before, and I'm just not sure how to add more geometry without ruining the edge flow because the model is one single piece. Would I add more edge loops and clean up?
  • eCstatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update. I've added much more geometry and reworked the UV's and the material as well. I finally figured out how to get that reflective shiny glass in substance painter, as well as how to project text and textures like the qr code.

model

What is a good way to get a decent lighting setup in sketchfab? I find that most of the HDRI's on there are either too dim or project too much color. Or am I just being too picky?
  • eCstatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marmoset renders

• cromadbomber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
    Now that looks alot better! Very nice improvement since last version. Keep it up!
  • willdebeast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willdebeast vertex
    This is looking good! The only thing that I think needs improvement is the fiber optic cable isn't curving smoothly, and doesn't have the little glowing bit. If you remodel the cable you can duplicate it, push it inward, and make the outer one a translucent glass material to get a fairly accurate effect.