Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Unity5] Science Fiction Corridor

Zhingen
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Zhingen polycounter lvl 4
Hi there. This is the first artwork that I'm posting here and would love to get some feedback and critique before finishing it up.

Replies

• ParksMarks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParksMarks polycounter lvl 5
    Hi Zhingen,
    At the moment, its a bit hard to tell what kind of feedback you're looking for. You've shown us a single dark screenshot of your corridor,  So we cant comment on modeling quality, or modularity, or whether your end result matches your concept.
    At the moment, its a super generic corridor. I cant tell where this place is or what its purpose is.  Are you using any real-world locations, or concept art for reference? You could provide some additional screenshots of your assets ( even wireframes) if your looking for more specific feedback.
  • Zhingen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi ParkMarks,
    Sorry about the picture, I didn't realize how dark it was until I looked at it on my other monitor. Should probably turn the brightness on my main monitor down before I hurt my eyes.
    Well the idea was a generic industrial sci fi corridor and I've not been using any concepts. This is also the first time I've been making an environment in unity 5 using PBS. 
    But yeah, already from the first post I can see that I have some severe lighting problems. Though I'm also looking for ideas for objects to clutter the scene with to make it more interesting. Sorry for being so vague.
    Here's a few brighter images:

I'll fish up a scene with the modules whenever I get the time.
  • Zhingen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's all the modules viewed normally and with wireframe on. 

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nicer start, why are the walls/door so dark? have you got reflection probes in there to help make the metal pbr work?
  • Zhingen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is, though I added a few more and tinkered with a few of the settings and got this

Though I think it's mostly because they have a matte metallic paint on them
  • Zhingen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some minor lighting tweaks since I felt the scene had become a bit too bright, while still making sure the textures didn't get too dark. 

• ParksMarks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Zhingen, 
    It's already looking so much better! Your modular stuff looks great. I had some thoughts on polish;

If you have enough time, consider making a T-junction piece for your modular set. As far as presentation goes, I think it would be more interesting than a straight hallway, AND you would have more opportunities for level design in the future

You could double check your albedo values to make sure they're 'PBR legal' ( colours that are too dark will suck up lighting. you may have to re-tweak your lighting again afterwards) heres a link to the Unity PBR charts;
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StandardShaderMaterialCharts.html

Consider what the focal point of the scene is,. You could also model a hero asset to break up the symmetry.

Add decals everywhere- stains, writing on pipes, extra greebles.... stuff that adds context to your hallway, and breaks up the symmetry.

Lighting wise, its quite ambient right now, which does correlate with the neon overhead lights you've modeled, but its a bit boring. You could add extra lights that rake against the geometry to create visual interest and to guide the composition. I did a quick paintover to show what I mean, but I'm sure you can do something cooler;

• Zhingen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there again ParkMarks,

Thanks for the feedback and critique, I'll certainly be looking at adding a t-junction, but without doubt adding decals and other stuff, though unity doesn't have a built in decal system, but I'll probably find a way around it like the water puddle. Staying away from character modeling will probably be the best both for time and keeping the focus on the scene. Though adding a crate or something like that could probably help the scene.

Thanks again for the feedback I'll get to work as soon as I possibly can!

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ahaa thats improving, it was so dark and ambient in terms of lighting I couldnt even tell if it was matt paint or metal before, that latest paintover with the extra lights on it by parksmarks also looks cool! there seems to be a lack of ao/dirt connecting the pieces together eg where the cieling meets the door, not sure if this would be decals or not.
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    Hi,
    If you were going for generic, this is definitely that. 

I think everything said so far has merit, here are maybe a couple things I'd suggest, but everyone has their own ideas.

- I'd work on removing the repeated dark spots on the ground, and keep it mostly clean, keep the puddle focused on one area. Consider telling a water story here. Puddle in space, gotta be a reason? 
    - I'd consider taking out lights instead of adding them, allow there to get deeper pockets of contrast in shadow in the crevices, and really allowing what little roughness separation currently exists to pop under the bright light.
    - I'd consider maybe removing those short vertical supports repeated a bunch of times, There can be alot added by adding nothing. 
    - sometimes simplicity is king
    - Definitely add a crate to make this the pinnacle of generic corridors. Foreground is almost screaming for one.

Goodluck!
  • Zhingen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there, a little update. I found myself a new shader that did so much more justice for my textures compared to unity 5 standard and been working a good deal on the lighting plus I took Shabba's advice on simplicity. So far personally I think it's a huge upgrade from before and much closer to what I envisioned when I started the project. 

I'm going to keep on adding more decal and add those extra probs in order to tell a little story.

Cheers!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice progress, what does this new shader do that the standard one doesnt?
  • ParksMarks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again Zhingen.
    it's looking much better! The blue and yellow colour scheme is a great idea. One thing I should call out is your lighting. You want your focus to have the highest contrast. Right now, you have these hot spots pulling focus to areas you may not want attention on. I did a little photoshop to show what I mean. All that means is that you should re-balance your lights. Keep up the good work!

• Zhingen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some light adjustments and tried my best to remove the hot spot while highlighting the door, without making the scene too dark. 

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Are you using any post processing VFX on your camera? 

I'd also consider redoing your flooring (adding color/texture) Same for the door, nothing is drawing my eye to it. 

• Zhingen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I am, Temporal AA, a little bit of AO, Screen space reflection, Bloom and some eye adaption. 

I'll see what I can do with the coloring to make it more interesting to look at.
  • macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Your latest screenies look very good imo, i really like your 'pipe pillar' ^^  Gratz !