Home Technical Talk

With so many programs out there which ones do I actually need!?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
Currently I use 3DSMAX (Model) Photoshop (Texture) and Unity / Unreal (Renderer).

Obviously this leaves me with a few limitations in my workflow, however there's so many different programs out there that I can't afford the time (or cost) to learn them all. 

The kind of work I do is mainly ArchViz so extremely high quality models rendered in real time. However recently I've also been doing hand painted low poly styles of models as well. Here are the programs I'm aware of:

ZBrush

Great for sculpting high poly details. Although besides that I don't see myself using it.

Substance Designer

Ultimate material authoring tool. Only problem is when starting out, it takes a long time to do something that could be easily done in photoshop. It's kind of like "If you want to make an apple pie you must first create the universe". Also great for baking maps, so I think I'm going to have to learn this one way or another. Still at the moment it's about 50x faster for me just to edit a texture in PS. 

Substance Painter

I don't think I'll need this package. You don't add scratch and dirt detail to Arch Viz and not needed for hand painting.

Marvelous Designer

Great for making pillows, lounges and beds. Only used for making pillows, lounges and beds :( At $800 it's a little expensive for an interactive cloth modifier tool, as cool as it is.

3DCoat

Honestly Don't know much about this however I've been seeing it around more and it seems it's good for hand painted stuff and can even do some sculpting? Might be a better alternative to Zbrush, which again I'd only be using to add extra details to my high poly. For things like stitching, fabric creases etc.

So seems like Substance Designer could handle my map baking and materials. However it's not really the best for adding high poly details in a timely manner. At this point it's looking like SD + Zbrush to add to my current software package. However I'll have to rely on cloth modifier in 3DSMax for now, which does a pretty good job tbh. Anyone else have a different perspective?

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    use whatever fits best into your pipeline or workflow if you can. For speed on pbr environments I really recommend substance painter, make your lowpoly and have good uvs and an id map(vertex colours even) then just slap on materials and put the model in your archvis. You really don't have to add any dust or scratches or details if you don't want to. Its pretty easy and very fast once you get used to it, as it means not having to edit 4 different textures in photoshop all the time to make pbr stuff and it also means if you get feedback like "lets make that chair leather instead of fabric" you can do it super fast. Ideally the substance painter materials you slap on to things will be tailored to your needs rather than just the basic ones that come preinstalled but thats easy enough to do as well.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    What are you trying to achieve? Are you a freelancer? Hobbyist? Looking to get a job in-house somewhere?

I know it costs a pretty penny, but I would seriously look into Marvelous Designer if you're doing any kind of cloth work for arch viz.

And +1 for Substance Painter. (It can bake maps too!) And you can paint in normal map details, which is pretty sweet and can save you time if certain geometry pieces are just going to get baked in as floaters anyway.

If you're really set on Photoshop, you may want to check out the Quixel Suite. It works inside Photoshop.

https://quixel.se/suite2/

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    feel your pain ,' paddington bear reboot' is a pain
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo said:
    What are you trying to achieve? Are you a freelancer? Hobbyist? Looking to get a job in-house somewhere?

I know it costs a pretty penny, but I would seriously look into Marvelous Designer if you're doing any kind of cloth work for arch viz.

And +1 for Substance Painter. (It can bake maps too!) And you can paint in normal map details, which is pretty sweet and can save you time if certain geometry pieces are just going to get baked in as floaters anyway.

If you're really set on Photoshop, you may want to check out the Quixel Suite. It works inside Photoshop.

https://quixel.se/suite2/

Marvelous Designer does produce some absolutely stunning results. In that case would I be able to drop ZBRUSH for Substance Painter? I can only think I'd use ZBrush to paint on stitching and things, which should be possible in painter right?

I'd go as far to have 3DSMAX, Marvelous Designer, Substance Designer + Painter. That's a manageable amount of programs to learn / update / purchase etc. Currently I work in-house but I'd like to supplement my income with assets and possibly freelance at some point in the future.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    3DSMax, ZBrush, Marvelous Designer, Substance Painter, Photoshp/Gimp. With only Max and Photoshop/Gimp as essentials. So you have everything you need already, depending on what you have to produce. If it is just stills then Unity/Unreal are great for environments. If you are using game engines for vizualizing the end product XNormal would be handy for map creation, its also free. The other programs are enormously advantageous if you step over to character art as an addition. Im in love with ZBrush but unlike you structures are not my main focus. 3DCoat looks interesting, but I think you need a beefy rig to make it do what ZBrush can on a modest setup. I havent tried 3DCoat lately so that may have changed.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Bletzkarn said:

Marvelous Designer does produce some absolutely stunning results. In that case would I be able to drop ZBRUSH for Substance Painter? I can only think I'd use ZBrush to paint on stitching and things, which should be possible in painter right?

I'd go as far to have 3DSMAX, Marvelous Designer, Substance Designer + Painter. That's a manageable amount of programs to learn / update / purchase etc. Currently I work in-house but I'd like to supplement my income with assets and possibly freelance at some point in the future.
    Yeah, adding stitching and similar details is very doable in Substance Painter.

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    3DSMax, ZBrush, Marvelous Designer, Substance Painter, Photoshp/Gimp. With only Max and Photoshop/Gimp as essentials. So you have everything you need already, depending on what you have to produce. If it is just stills then Unity/Unreal are great for environments. If you are using game engines for vizualizing the end product XNormal would be handy for map creation, its also free. The other programs are enormously advantageous if you step over to character art as an addition. Im in love with ZBrush but unlike you structures are not my main focus. 3DCoat looks interesting, but I think you need a beefy rig to make it do what ZBrush can on a modest setup. I havent tried 3DCoat lately so that may have changed.
    I'm heavily considering this setup, just without ZBrush. Trying to keep my software scope as compact as possible, time is a very big factor. Only so much time to learn Unity/Unreal, coding, lighting, rigging, animating etc. I'll never be job ready if I spread myself too thin. The job I'm interviewing for is purely for mobile game assets. Low poly, stylised, hand painted, probably no normal maps. However that is a 12 month contract and assuming I get it, after I will want to be flexible enough to get back into visualisation. I'm early in my career so don't mind being diverse.