Home Technical Talk

Maya 2016 Uv mapping Laggy

Hey all, long time lurker here.
Recently got myself a shiny new radeon Vega 64 8gb, using latest drivers and Im getting that old glitch that used to sometimes happen where your UV mapping tool would practically lock up and lag trying to do the most basic of things.
And as you know UV mapping is a pain even when you know exactly what your doing. as it stands. it is severely hampering my ability to get a model finished taking 5-10 times longer to complete even basic moving and scaling of a couple of uv points.

There was an old fix back in the day I managed to track down where you could put a driver dll in your maya folder. but after some looking around I have been unable to find out which radeon drivers are stable for this purpose.
So if anyones got a fix for extremely laggy UV mapping Id love some help. 

Replies

• throttlekitty
    It's been ages since I've had a radeon card, but I don't think the current maya UI is as bogged down by video drivers as it used to be.

Are you clearing history while you go? Is this a very high poly model that you could separate into smaller chunks for the time being?
  • Penny_Carroll
    yeah, first thing i tried was delete history, freeze transforms ect.  the model is a typical humanoid character model for a game so if anything its a bit low on the poly's.
    I tried model clean up too just in case there was some weird geometry causing issues.

I ended up powering through the lag and just brute forcing it. still took a good 3-4 times longer than it should.

I've since finished unwrapping the model in question but I'm positive ill run into it again If i can't find a fix :(
    I tried some basic shapes too, i seem to get a little lag even on a basic sphere on default settings o.o