Home Technical Talk

Please Help ! My mesh doesn't polish with smooth edges.

CGnula
node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
CGnula node
Hello ! 

I am on a tight deadline and I came up with this problem. I have a 8K Alpha but when I use it model on my base, it doesn't give crisp edges. When I smooth it with Polish deformation option with an increment of 10, it doesn't become smooth. I am a little new to ZBrush so please help me out with little bit of more details. Thanks!

Replies

• Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Try blurring out the alpha of the text a bit at the edges.

You can see the same aliasing issues in your alpha as you can on your model. Notice the A in the alpha has some slight stepping going down it's diagonal, when this has been applied to the model it has been amplified to be much more noticeable.

You may want to experiment with the font rendering in Photoshop, take a look at the Anti-Aliasing section here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/editing-text.html

I would also strongly recommend you blur out the edges as well as tweaking the font rendering. The reason being is that you're going very harshly from white to black. This contrast means that the extrusion is sudden rather than gradual and it accentuates these kinds of problems you're seeing because there's a lack of polygonal geometry there to deal with it.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    you need more resolution on your plane, and on your alpha.
  • CGnula
    Offline / Send Message
    CGnula node
    Axi5 said:
    Try blurring out the alpha of the text a bit at the edges.

You can see the same aliasing issues in your alpha as you can on your model. Notice the A in the alpha has some slight stepping going down it's diagonal, when this has been applied to the model it has been amplified to be much more noticeable.

You may want to experiment with the font rendering in Photoshop, take a look at the Anti-Aliasing section here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/editing-text.html

I would also strongly recommend you blur out the edges as well as tweaking the font rendering. The reason being is that you're going very harshly from white to black. This contrast means that the extrusion is sudden rather than gradual and it accentuates these kinds of problems you're seeing because there's a lack of polygonal geometry there to deal with it.
    Thank you ! It worked :) I did the bluing step as you've mentioned. It gave great results as I wished. 100% client satisfaction. I will attach a  rendered image (cropped part) I made for the client. You saved the day. Thanks a lot !

• CGnula
    Offline / Send Message
    CGnula node
    lotet said:
    you need more resolution on your plane, and on your alpha.
    Yes I had to tweak them too. Thanks a lot ! :smile:
  • Eric Chadwick
    Moving this from General Discussion to Technical Talk. Please consider the correct forum section for future posts, thank you.
  • CGnula
    Offline / Send Message
    CGnula node
    Moving this from General Discussion to Technical Talk. Please consider the correct forum section for future posts, thank you.
    It was a mistake. Sorry.