Home Technical Talk

Game hair

DANLEL
vertex
Offline / Send Message
DANLEL vertex

I have done hair before but I'm really tired of placing hair strips by hand and it ends up looking flat in the end. I'm trying to find out the best method to create convincing hair and I'm stuck. I tried fibermesh and it's fast but the end result is less than perfect. Maybe it's the texture:

Or maybe it's the material in marmoset, also is there some good way to achieve curly fibermesh hair without ending up with too many polygons on the hair strips? Any advice appreciated, I just wanna figure this out because it's annoying placing them by hand.

Replies

• DANLEL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DANLEL vertex
    I played a bit with it further but 14000 faces for a beard and he still needs a mustache, I don't think that's viable. But maybe you could decimate it somehow or clean it up. Any good ideas on how to do this hmmm.

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    This could help. 

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Hair_card

HOnestlyt he only way i've done it is i by hand, Thats how you get the best results imo. I know theres a new houdini way too, you might try that. 
  • DANLEL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DANLEL vertex

Ok I have figured it out, you just got to fine tune the settings in zbrush and the texture you're using. More hairs in the texture map is going to make the hair thicker, furrier but is going to mean that you don't need to use as many hair strips which is going to improve performance. Mustaches and eyebrows you'll have to edit afterwards which i have yet to do. You can also decimate the beard with little loss of quality, I managed to lower the beard count by 6000 polygons. Could probably push it further but the fibermesh is definitely more preferable to placing each hair card by hand and lining them up in an uv editor.

Thanks Paul.