Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Are automotive designers for popular vehicle manufactures making cars more difficult to model.

bvilly99
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
bvilly99 polycounter lvl 5
Hello there! I'm new to this website. I started my 3d modelling career a few months back in May. Lately I've been thinking and please note this question is not to be taken seriously. Are Automotive Designers for popular vehicle manufacturers purposely making their cars more difficult to 3D model, haha. The reason I ask this is because currently I'm modelling the 2017 Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG coupe. The exterior is almost finished just some minor details missing such as exhaust pipes, windshield wipers, front and cameras for the front, rear and mirrors etc. It came out pretty good from my eyes. However I challenged myself to do the interior of it and OH BOY OH BOY! This is a constant struggle lol.
Not saying that I will give up on it but it's a constant trial and error for the last 2 months haha. Since this would be my first car interior I don't really batter myself too much because I know it will be worth it. I fail so times that the little success I celebrate haha. We're talking about taking hours or even days of lol. Has anyone been through what I'm currently going through? I'll upload some screenshots for you guys to see my progress. :smile:

Also if anyone is wondering those are not stock rims, they are Vorsteiner VFF-104. 

Replies

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Cars, among other products get more complex and inventive as the manufacturing processes get better. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that newer cars are harder to model than older ones since their shapes are developed a lot more in wind tunnels and with more complex computer programs.

Going way back, cars used to be entirely hand made so you can bet that most cars were fairly simple, fanciness was only reserved for expensive cars made by skilled hands. Then Ford's production line came along and simpler shapes were necessary to make sure cars were made quickly.

Car production continued for many years this way but many little steps and leaps in manufacturing here and there to enable car designers to create.

You led me to this when wondering why cars were more boxy in the 80s:

TL;DClick:
    CAD programs were new to designers and it was hard to get good round shapes.

• bvilly99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aha I see. I figured that it had to do something with better technology. It's just very difficult (or even impossible) to get certain creases on the car and make it a curved shape and the end. Thanks for the information, as a car designer, can you give me some 3D modelling tips? Much appreciated. :smile:
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Hahaha, I'm flattered, but I'm not a car designer.

You seem to have done a decent job of the exterior so I think you're more than capable of doing it. Just take a quick breather before going back to do it, and try it with some fresh eyes.
  • bvilly99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha I saw your signature that's why. Thanks btw! Well I finally got the reference image part of the interior that I was having a hard time with. It's the side of the interior driver radiator fan so i hope it is smooth sailing for now. :smiley:
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Best of luck! Be sure to post on the 3D showcase art & critiques sub-forum when it's ready!
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

For someone only a matter of a few months into this 3D modelling caper, that's a pretty good overall effort you've got there and yeah lolz:

"Are automotive designers for popular vehicle manufactures making cars more difficult to model."

...a plague upon all their houses! shows an absolute total disregard for us artisans slaving away in front of our monitors trying too capture a reasonable 1:1 facsimile, particularly these current hi-end nexgen vehicles with signature creased panelling up the yin yang :/ 

Anyways again nice job man :)

P.S

I'll just drop this set of tutes by Ali Ismail who I've followed for a time, with some valuable insights into automotive polygonal modelling which by the way has lifted my competence to the next level:

Modeling Cars in Polygons

• bvilly99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thanks alot bro! I guess it's because I spent alot of time practicing 3ds max and learning new modelling techniques. I honestly been saying that for the last month while working on this project. It's like that do all these creases on the car body making it difficult for us artists to replicate in 3D :neutral: 

Anyway thanks alot man, I'll continue with it! :smile:

Oh and btw I read that a long time ago, but thanks anyway! :smile:

Love your quote btw!