Home Technical Talk

Maya translate gets wonky after scaling object

Ciper
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Ciper polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, I recently upgraded to Maya 2018 and am having an issue with translating an object on its object orientation if the object is also scaled and rotated. I tried all the axis orientation options... sometimes "custom" works, but not always. I could set the orientation to face/edge, but having to manually set the orientation for each object doesn't seem optimal at all.
Am I doing something wrong? Is there a hidden option somewhere to fix this issue?
Attaching screenshots to show what I'm talking about. 

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Main Menu > Modify > Freeze Transforms
    That should reset the transform matrix and get things behaving like it was a new object.

You might want to also delete history, Main Menu > Edit > Delete by Type > HIstory (or Alt-Shift-D) but maybe that is my custom keybind that I set up...
  • Ciper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ciper polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the reply. I'm actually not looking to reset the transforms so that they behave in a world-space orientation, but to move the object on the orientation that it was rotated into.

In the above example, I would expect the object to move in the direction of the active translate arrow, however when I move the object on that diagonal axis, the object instead moves up and down on a slight offset, as you can see in the attached screenshots.
  • Ciper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ciper polycounter lvl 9
    Here is a video demonstrating what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8-GM6Mf_Xw&feature=youtu.be

Any help would be appreciated!
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8

Ciper said:
    Thanks for the reply. I'm actually not looking to reset the transforms so that they behave in a world-space orientation, but to move the object on the orientation that it was rotated into.
    In this case you can only reset transforms for scale. Your orientation wont change but scale will be 1 and you'll move just fine.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ciper said:
    Here is a video demonstrating what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8-GM6Mf_Xw&feature=youtu.be

Any help would be appreciated!
    Looks like you're in some custom axis on the move tool. I can see the scale only affecting Y, but your move is going across X and Y despite the handle you grabbed (and even before your scaling). I'd go into the move tool options and reset them. In the future, you'll want to use the object space to move like you expect.

This could also be some random maya goofup, so if this doesn't work try resetting your prefs.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Can confirm this is happening for me too.

It shouldn't be happening, but it might have something to do with it's order of transformations. Maya uses Scale -> Rotate -> Translate, and it seems as though in this example the scale is effecting the rotation axis.

Picture it like a skew, Maya is applying the scale first but because the object has already been rotated Maya is applying the scaling from an arbitrary axis direction. Then Maya is rotating it to face that direction, then it's being translated. I would expect the model to look skewed but clearly Maya has done some trickery to preserve the shape and ruin the translation instead.

You can temporarily get around this by applying the scale to the lowest transform, then applying a transform above and rotating and translating on the parent. This separation of actions will fix things.

Edit:
    throttlekitty is right, this behaviour doesn't happen in Object pivot mode. Check you're not in component pivot mode, that would actually make a bit more sense with what I described above.
  • Flmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flmn polycounter lvl 6
    Oh, I've made a report to Autodesk sometime ago with this problem. It also occurs while working with components. However, later they said, that this was solved with UPDATE 1. Have you tried installing it? I haven't, so can't tell you exactly will this help.
  • eltarbos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eltarbos polycounter lvl 7
    I confirm that this is a known bug introduced in maya 2017 update 4. It has been solved in maya 2018 update 1.
  • Ciper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ciper polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the replies!

I did make sure that I was in object pivot mode rather than custom or component mode before posting this thread. I tried all the other pivot modes as well, but I was still getting the issue. I reset the prefs and tried running Maya with the default prefs from a fresh installation. No go.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Maya 2018, but that didn't help. Do I need to get update 1 separately from the 2018 installation? And if so, where do I get that? I'm not seeing any updates for Maya at https://manage.autodesk.com/cep/#products-services/updates

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Update 1 does fix it.  I have no idea how to get it though, that's what IT departments are for ;)