Home Technical Talk

spp file CORRUPTED after assigning substance as the the default program

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
AnArtAccount polycounter lvl 4
Hello people.
I was working on a substance project for a quite long time and I wanted to do the finishing touches today for the final renders. the save file has always been blank (A file that doesn't have an assigned program to run it if you click on the file to open it ) I always opened the project IN substance painter. But today I opened it for the first time through the saved document (or I tried) Windows said that I had to assign a program to it to open it, so of course I assigned Substance Painter 2017 to it (SubstancePainter.exe). When I opened it said: Can;t decode data. I searched around and saw on another post that the file is now corrupted. BUT I didn't see a post of someone having the same problem as I did. Assigning the document to Substance and then being 'corrupted'

Does this mean I just lost hours on hours of work or did I assign the document to the wrong exe or..? 
I never had this before in previous versions so I'm kinda panicked...

I hope someone can help me out here.
And already: Thanks for reading

-Bram

-Pic 1: Error in substance
-Pic 2: The assigned .exe to run the file that was unassigned before.
-Pic 3: The file and the assigned program to it
Edit: I posted the same topic on the 
allegorithmic technical forum because this is a REALLY important project for school with a deadline for tomorrow. So I want to look for help wherever I can.

Replies

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    post hoc ergo propter hoc

if you can open a (copy) of a known working project and break it again by opening it that way, that's a bug I'm sure Allegorithmic will want to know about. If not I'd assume it's a coincidence and cosmic rays happened to eat your project last time you saved. I doubt adding .spp to windows recognition could corrupt your file, but you never know. From now on try and save incremental copies of your work (particularly with big scene files that can't be opened in any other way, like .spp files). Painter also has a built in autosave function now so make sure you set that up. Also consider off-site automatic backups like dropbox.

Also I don't think you mention it but did you try opening the project in the regular way just to rule that out?
  • Froyok
  • AnArtAccount
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek said:
    post hoc ergo propter hoc

if you can open a (copy) of a known working project and break it again by opening it that way, that's a bug I'm sure Allegorithmic will want to know about. If not I'd assume it's a coincidence and cosmic rays happened to eat your project last time you saved. I doubt adding .spp to windows recognition could corrupt your file, but you never know. From now on try and save incremental copies of your work (particularly with big scene files that can't be opened in any other way, like .spp files). Painter also has a built in autosave function now so make sure you set that up. Also consider off-site automatic backups like dropbox.

Also I don't think you mention it but did you try opening the project in the regular way just to rule that out?
    Thanks for the comment! Yes I tried that too. But i'm afraid its just corrupted :(
  • AnArtAccount
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok said:
    Yes, it is. I just really needed an answer because this was a pretty important school assignment. Also, it was almost done. about 30 more minutes/  an hour of work or something.  But yeah... I emailed them the problem and they understood. So I got some extra time :)