Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArkOfDarkness - Portfolio Development & Ongoing Projects (Feedback/Critique Requested)

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ArkOfDarkness polycounter lvl 3
Hey There!

I was thinking I'd start a thread to request some input on my portfolio/personal projects moving forward.
(Looking around the forums, this seemed to be the best place to post for Critique/Feedback)

Generally, I'm asking for feedback on what looks good, what looks bad, and what stuff I could be focusing/working/moving towards in the future.
(I WANT to be a Character Artist, but because of the super-competitive nature and general shortage of character jobs compared to most other positions, I'm also trying to demonstrate Weapon/Prop Modeling capability)

Artstation Portfolio:
www.arkofdarkness.artstation.com

Personal Website:
www.arkofdarkness.com

(Side Note: I DO plan on scrapping the personal website and using the existing domain name with Artstation Pro in the future, but kind of got roped in with website-hosting costs through Bluehost for at least the next year. So for now, I'm using both at the same time)

Software Access:
ZBrush, Maya LT, Substance Painter, Photoshop, Marmoset Toolbag

You can feel free to be as harsh and critical as you like - I need a kick in the rear to show me what my weaknesses are, and avoid hitting that dreaded "but I feel like it's good enough" stagnation. (It's not good enough - it's never good enough. I just need help in figuring it out.)

Please and Thank You for any help you can give,
~ArkOfDarkness

P.S. - It would be rude to make a thread without any images - So if you don't have time to click the portfolio links, here's a condensed summary of the most recent stuff.

Replies

• ArkOfDarkness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updating with 2 WIP Renders of the latest Prop/PBR Texture Project.

Render 1: Mostly some work in hashing out an effective PBR Gem setup in Marmoset, as well as a study in Emissive textures.

Render 2: Working on a Tesla-esque Faberge Egg, and building off of the previous study.

Any comments/critiques/feedback are greatly appreciated!
    ~ArkOfDarkness
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    the materials on your stuff is lookin TIGHT. a few questions 
    .what the blue goo coming 9it the top of the egg?
    the etching on the sword is really monotonous. like it just keeps repeating and it looks kinda wack imo.
    I'd get rid of that character,  everything else you have out shines that in pretty much every way. 
  • ArkOfDarkness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the materials on your stuff is lookin TIGHT. a few questions 
    .what the blue goo coming 9it the top of the egg?
    the etching on the sword is really monotonous. like it just keeps repeating and it looks kinda wack imo.
    Ah. The 'blue goo' is supposed to be lightning. (And now I can't unsee it as just a literal explosion of goo strings!)
    I went back to ZBrush and tweaked it around to get it a bit more angular.
    (I also noticed a strange bug/artifact in Marmoset where the gems become transparent or disappear when viewed from certain angles - it seems to happen only when the Emissives are nearby)

And since there's an Emissive Map for almost every component of the egg, here's one render from Marmoset with the Emissive Strength cranked up to maximum. (The strange Gem Transparency bug can be seen near the top)

Regarding the sword etching, I haven't gotten around to revising that quite yet, but it's definitely on the To-Do list.

Big thanks for the suggestions,
    ~ArkOfDarkness