Home Technical Talk

How do you create a texture from a picture to put on a building?

Easton
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Easton vertex
Hi guys,
I am busy learning texturing and modeling and I am trying to figure out how to make 3d models of real life buildings and then adding textures to them for a flight simulator airport.

However I don't know how to take a picture and turn it into a texture to add to my building, how can I do this?

Specifically I want to add 4k textures to my models to give them the utmost realism on a low poly model. I will take an airport hanger and simply turn it into a virtual model then go over it with Quixel and add any fine details that the models need. My problem is that I can't find out how this is done exactly for real life objects for accuracy.

Any help is appreciated,

Easton

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    You asked basically the same question in your previous thread.
    A 4k texture won't add "utmost realism" to your work though. And its still not clear what do you mean by virtual model, and whats the difference between a real life object and a not real life one. Its the same thing. I'm thinking maybe you want to take a photo of that hangar, and align it to your mesh? If you are going for realism, using plain photos is really not the best practice. Realistic shading would make your work realistic, and for that, you need to use multiple types of textures with physically correct , or at least mostly correct values, which photos never has, because it would show complete shading with shadows, specular reflections, etc. These should be added inside your game engine by inputting those different maps, because lighting and shadows and reflections are are scene lighting dependant. Then the renderer will do the rest. This would give you the best result.

Since your questions are not clear, I'm going to assume that you don't know how to do the "aligning" part. Its called uv mapping. There are plenty of uv mapping tutorials on youtube for every modeling packages.
  • Easton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Easton vertex
    I think I put my last post in the wrong place...

4k will look more realistic than anything less if both are made in the same way right?

When I say real life, I mean that most models being made for games are created from scratch not based on a real building, so there is not as much accuracy in detail needed (from what I understand).

I'm new to all of this, I don't necessarily mean that I want to just slap the picture on the model. Maybe remove the color from the picture because I need a lot of the indentations and protrusions from the stamping of the metal on the side of the building. Then I suppose add my textures.

I'm not sure if it will turn out well though, the textures will probably be misaligned from my model a bit and look off or not asymmetrical, and also may just look bad.

So the best way to go about it is to just start from scratch? I wish I had a pic to show you, tomorrow I will try to take one to help with a visual... My main concern is the metal form, but I suppose I could add normals in Quixels NDO and overlay my picture of the walls in Photoshop to get it accurate.

I may sound incoherent or something, I am just new to all of this as of a few weeks.

Thank you for the help!

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    4K will result in more sharpness/crisper but it doesn't necessarily have to be realistic.

Watch any VHS movie with live actors, and even in all the blurriness, it still looks more real than any game.

Actual realism comes from having materials and a lighting setting that is scientifically accurate. Thanks to PBR, a lot of the guess work has been done for you. The rest is just filling in the details (i.e albedo, roughness, metals, AO, reflectivity etc). 
  • Easton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Easton vertex

Here is a picture for better visualization. 
    What do you guys think is best? Tiling it or just forming these features out in normal map on my UV then creating the textures in Quixel?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter