Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modeling Solaire from Dark Souls, need assistance

JonBick0
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
JonBick0 polycounter lvl 3
I have a character modeling assignment and i chose Solaire from Dark Souls, my school is on strike right now so i cant ask my teachers for help with this, soooo im here, im just wondering if im doing this right

1. So here is what i have so far, the edge loops go all around but there are some parts where it doesn't look as smooth as i want it to, and you can kinda see the geometry there, so how would i fix something like this?

Here is the non smoothed mesh.

2. Should i be smoothing this in the first place, or is that creating too much geometry, should i use beveling instead? im shooting for a character that could be used in a video game.

3. Also  there is this pattern going around the base of the helmet here, should i have started my base geometry around that or is there a better way of modeling that?

?

Replies

• Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, I'm having trouble understanding which edges are not as smooth as you would want them to be? I see that there are some edges on the helmet that could benefit from being smoother but am unsure if they are indeed the issue.

But in general, if you want to smooth the helmet, make sure that edge loops are spaced more evenly if you want to achieve more "round cylinder" look, right now its behaving as it should (on sides of the face you have edge loops that are neat each other and that is causing the edge sharpness).

2. If you want to bake down normal map info from hi poly to low poly then yes.

3. About the neck guard pattern, maybe you could have started from there but there is no explicit need, from what i see its a separate geometry so you can model it as a separate part and integrate it into the rest (or don't and just bake it into low poly along with other chunks)

Hope that helped, good job so far :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Rather than trying to match 1:1 what you see in the game, i would take it as a concept and use it as inspiration. Remember that Solaire was made with some pretty brutal restrictions in terms of polygon and texture budget, and so things like his gorget would not be functionally accurate.

Make Solaire, but make the Solaire we all deserve.

Praise the sun, brother!