Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Anatomy study, critique required

Krayzmond
null
Hi, all! Sculpting this guy to use as a base mesh of a buff dude. Made it from sphere in zbrush. Desperately need critique regarding anatomy, I'm still improving it, but would like to head second opinion and have another pair of eyes. Would appreciate detailed critique. If you could redline stuff and have neat advices I would be very greatful. Thank you! 

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I think you've cranked up the subdivisions and started carving away way too early. You need to go back to lower resolution and work on macro forms. Use the move brush a lot, build silhouette. This kind of stuff is absolutely where you start big and gradually work smaller.
  • Krayzmond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krayzmond null
    Pretty much, I'm gonna go back and work on 2nd subdiv lvl now, I've been sculpting the guy for a week lol, started from very low dynamesh and it went on and on. What I'm looking for is getting a lot of criique about the form and then re do the guy again, possibly from scratch again
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Starting from scratch again is really good idea 
    There are quite a few things that need fixing : major one been proportions and joints size 
    Do you follow any specific reference ?
    Can you post side view no prospective and no arms (cut them below deltoid ) ?
  • Krayzmond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krayzmond null
    No perspective

I use Pure ref and have zillions of anatomical references that I look through, but I don't try to copy an image I see, my model is bent in joint areas a bit differently I don't want my base mesh anatomy model to be an exact copy of somebody elses to be honest, but I think I could just copy. I'm going to use it as a base mesh and then do a fantasy armor on top of it, whole model will be properly retopoed UV'd, textured by me and then I'm gonna rig it and animate it. I'm replicating full cycle pipeline =)). At least trying to the best I can at every stage. 

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok you have Richer there why not use him till establish proper proportion or any of the other great teachers Bammes or Loomis both have used 8 head proportion , for details you can use whatever 
    Ok I did fast paint over : my suggestion is to move kneeling point (tibial tuberosity) up and greater trochanter down also add volume to neck, lower back, butt and legs - head might be a bit too slim for that body too , stronger jaw can fix that . I can make you a better paint over once you fix all of that 
    Next time add deltoid its hard to evaluate whole figure without widest point 

• Krayzmond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krayzmond null
    Started from scratch again
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much better attempt but still there are thing that can be improve :
    - arms are too long
    - legs are weak 
    - side view gesture is straight line -> try to change it to double S-curve

• Krayzmond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krayzmond null
    Thanks for feedback, it's really helpful, always good to have additional pair of eyes! I'll give body and limb some more passes, working on a head now.