Home Unity

Imported highPoly FBX from Maya comes in multiple pieces -- lower poly versions of same model do not

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
I have various subdivision levels of the same model that I imported into unity. My higher poly model -- something around 50k -- comes in multiple pieces and thus when the textures are applied you have to apply the shader to each piece and get strange results.

Any idea what might cause this? Before importing, I scaled the model appropriately, deleted history, froze transformations...

Replies

• MikeF
    Online / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    unity has a vertex limit of 65534 so if you exceed that on a single mesh it will be broken up automatically. If your triangle count is 50k, i'd suspect that this is the case
  • Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    In the latest beta:
    Graphics: Support for 32 bit Mesh index buffers:
    • By default meshes larger than 65k vertices will get imported with a 32 bit index buffer; smaller meshes still use 16 bit indices.
    • Added "Index Format" setting to mesh importer to override this behavior.
    • Added Mesh.indexFormat to scripting API for meshes created at runtime.
    If it's a small project, try it out there, I'd be curious to know your results.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF said:
    unity has a vertex limit of 65534 so if you exceed that on a single mesh it will be broken up automatically. If your triangle count is 50k, i'd suspect that this is the case

Ah, that makes sense. So then how do people usually adjust their texture maps to account for this? I suppose you could just break your model up yourself and set up your textures beforehand... is that a typical method?
  • Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Ah, that makes sense. So then how do people usually adjust their texture maps to account for this? I suppose you could just break your model up yourself and set up your textures beforehand... is that a typical method?
    It should just be the same, the UV coords should be what you expect. Just apply your materials and you should be good to go. Is there some odd behaviour you're seeing?
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I should play around with it a bit more before I say for certain what exactly was going on, but what was happening was that for some reason I could not apply a shader group to the grouped objects, but had to apply the shader to the individual pieces. Now it seems to have been smart enough to apply the texture based on the overall UV, but I got some bad seams and some sections looked entirely off.

In any case, it seems like a problem pretty easy to work around, and I expect one that won't be ran into that often regardless.
  • McDev
    Offline / Send Message
    McDev polycounter lvl 2
    Not sure what Maya supports but I either make a selection and copy the mesh and delete that selection and the invertion of it in both meshes, or I simply copy the selection. Anyway as mentioned the newer versions of Unity support 32 bit buffer for meshes so that problem would be solved. On the other hand, you can just stick to what Unity provided by splitting if it works for you.