[Finished] Steampunk Unicycle

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
Larry keyframe
Hey Guys i found this handmade concept made by F.Rickish.Ideas so i asked him to make it into a 3d model and he let me. I believe this would be a nice portfolio piece. This is the original real life concept. It is amazing what this guy did




And this is the base


And this is my progress for now.


I cannot get rid of the artifacts completely in the boolean, but it wont be very visible anyways


Replies

  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    Started adding some small elements around. To save some polycount i will add a few gear parts on the front and add a gear image on the background as a mockup for extra shapes.Also adjusted the main tank's height and the pedal's length.



  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    My progress for today! This sits at 100k tris at the moment as a mid poly with control loops,, and the wheel only taking about 27k. I hope my low poly will stay at max 100k tris when finished since i'd like to maintain smooth curving


  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi quad damage
    Good progress
  • alex_kim
    Online / Send Message
    alex_kim triangle
    Oh man, this is awesome ! If I can create just like you.. I am gonna apply companies for job immediately. :-)

    By the way, thanks for nice wire frame. I guess I understand one by one about the concept of hp (High poly).
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    Hey @alex_kim , this is still not a high poly! This is considered mid poly (with edge loops) and it is about 100.000 triangles at the moment. A high poly is if you take this model and smooth it even further!
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    Finished with the blockout. The tire will definatelly be revisited 

  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    Did some of the materials. I'm thinking of making one 4k texture and put every material in there, depending to the size of the assets. I'm thinking half of it for the sculpted parts

    Painted plastic color
    Metal
    Same metal with opacity map, i think it's better to put opacity and some height info than model all of these holes in every part... Or not?
    goldSome hard plastic for the light on the front of the unicycle

    and copper



  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    Any comments for the materials?
    Also does anyone have any ideas for presentation? A road with a lamp is not what I prefer doing but it is better than nothing..
  • BCos
    Offline / Send Message
    BCos polycounter lvl 7
    Materials look nice, though i'm intriqued if you'll be incorporating more into the seat leather sculpt.

    Also materials aside, I feel like the gears and chotchkies that are inside the front grill in the concept fill out the grilled space a bit more. I'd try scaling all your bits and pieces inside the grill up a bit, try and really fill in that space some more, otherwise my eye seeing so much of the flat surface behind those gears will begin to lose my suspension of disbelief that those gears are actually serving some purpose for the vehicle.  

    I feel the scale being a little small goes for many of your other steampunk greebles as well.  in the concept they're big, bold and the centerpiece of the aesthetic.  the little hoses, pipes, and fans that are all around the chassis of the scooter could be boosted up quite a bit.  To me, the steampunk aesthetic lives almost entirely in the pipes and gears and bits and pieces, and I think really 'turning up' their real estate on the model as a whole will help sell the genre.

    Looks great regardless, keep it up!
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    BCos said:
    Materials look nice, though i'm intriqued if you'll be incorporating more into the seat leather sculpt.

    Also materials aside, I feel like the gears and chotchkies that are inside the front grill in the concept fill out the grilled space a bit more. I'd try scaling all your bits and pieces inside the grill up a bit, try and really fill in that space some more, otherwise my eye seeing so much of the flat surface behind those gears will begin to lose my suspension of disbelief that those gears are actually serving some purpose for the vehicle.  

    I feel the scale being a little small goes for many of your other steampunk greebles as well.  in the concept they're big, bold and the centerpiece of the aesthetic.  the little hoses, pipes, and fans that are all around the chassis of the scooter could be boosted up quite a bit.  To me, the steampunk aesthetic lives almost entirely in the pipes and gears and bits and pieces, and I think really 'turning up' their real estate on the model as a whole will help sell the genre.

    Looks great regardless, keep it up!
    For the front part I was thinking to save some tricount  on the gears by adding a gear picture decal behind them in the flat surface. Will see if it is believable. There are some pieces that will be sculpted like the main tank the handles and the storage boxes on the top side but I keep these for the end! thnx alot for feedback! Will try to enlarge the pipes and add some feel to it :)
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    Update: Learned alot about materials, textures and bringing complicated meshes in UE with material ID's
    First time i brought my materials to UE4, so i hadn't known what i was actually doing in substance designer.All of the materials in the unicycle were made by me.Some of them look crappy in the models,and they need remaking but some are really nice and good looking! Like the leather,copper and the hard plastic. Also the main tank needs rebaking! Going to complete this whatsoever



  • alex_kim
    Online / Send Message
    alex_kim triangle
    Hello, Larry. I admire your effort.

    However, I believe we can upgrade it.

    Tell you the truth, tire is catching my eyes :-)

    I do not mean to underrate your work; however, the material of tire is like a plastic not a rubber.

    Also, I believe you could add patterns on the tire. Now your tire has no pattern like a racing car which is very dangerous for ordinary vehicle :-)

  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    alex_kim said:
    Hello, Larry. I admire your effort.

    However, I believe we can upgrade it.

    Tell you the truth, tire is catching my eyes :-)

    I do not mean to underrate your work; however, the material of tire is like a plastic not a rubber.

    Also, I believe you could add patterns on the tire. Now your tire has no pattern like a racing car which is very dangerous for ordinary vehicle :-)

    Hey alex. I didnt do anything on the tire yet. I keep experimenting but I dont like the results. I am stuck, I dont want to model the detail , I only want to bake normal map, but a nornal map looks very bad on it. So im trying to figure out some pattern that would be good looking for a normal map, and be a tire for motorbikes. Tires are damn difficult!
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    I think i am calling this done.It sits at 120k tris.This is all one mesh, and my first piece portfolio worthy (is it? :P) i made all the materials in SD. Now i'm gonna try and find the best angles to post it on artstation!Any feedback greatly appreciated!



  • alex_kim
    Online / Send Message
    alex_kim triangle
    Hello, Larry. I just read your message.

    I do not have sense of art yet unfortunately. This is why I do not judge other people's work since there's huge gap between the industry's standard and my standard. :-)

    If my opinion is different from other people's comments; then please ignore mine. 

    However, since you help me a lot. And, I believe being honest is the best attitude for you. I do not want to lie.

    I must say, everything is awesome. Yet, you can upgrade tire part. This unicycle is the machine that contains engine inside. Right now, the tire is looking plastic with less pattern. This type of tire is good for something that has no engine.

    Again, I believe your work is great. However, if you change tire into the real-car-tire. I believe it can be better.  
  • alex_kim
    Online / Send Message
    alex_kim triangle
    I personally love your car-speed-plate part. I do not know exact name. The golden ring on the 4th picture that tells us how fast machine is. I love that. 

    How did you texture it? 
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    @alex_kim thank you for your comments! I modeled the tire like the motorbike tires, not like car tires
    https://www.google.gr/search?q=motorbike+tire&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwid14Ln4fzWAhUiAcAKHe_lCqAQ_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=759

    I made all the materials with substance designer and imported the textures to ue4. My first piece on artstation is ready! :)
  • aclund3
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 3
    I really like your concept!  I've got to agree about the tire, it looks like its from a street bike, but a unicycle would have different requirements. I personally would do something a bit different with the tread. Maybe something like this:



    And keep working towards a rubber material. You'll need it eventually down the road, although I totally get being burned out on a project for awhile after you finish.

    Otherwise, my only other comment is with the standing platforms/plates. I really feel like they should be grated in an interesting way, or at least have a non-slip texture/sticker material on part of it. And also, you can experiment with flipping them up for presentation purposes.

    Cheers mate! You've done a lot of really good work here, just wanted to share a few things I saw that could help improve the piece.
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    aclund3 said:
    I really like your concept!  I've got to agree about the tire, it looks like its from a street bike, but a unicycle would have different requirements. I personally would do something a bit different with the tread. Maybe something like this:



    And keep working towards a rubber material. You'll need it eventually down the road, although I totally get being burned out on a project for awhile after you finish.

    Otherwise, my only other comment is with the standing platforms/plates. I really feel like they should be grated in an interesting way, or at least have a non-slip texture/sticker material on part of it. And also, you can experiment with flipping them up for presentation purposes.

    Cheers mate! You've done a lot of really good work here, just wanted to share a few things I saw that could help improve the piece.
    Thank you very much for your kind words! I agree the tire is not the best but after ALOT of testing i did not like the "baked" results so i stuck with that simpler motorbike tire. The one that you posted does seem alot better from all i tried though. 
    I also agree with all the rest you said, like making a rubber material (i thought i did, in the tire xD but i understand its not good enough) I will be making materials again and again in every project, the old ones will be just for a fast material to visualise.I wll only keep the ones i am really happy about (like my hard plastic and leather from this project)
    I will also admit that i most certainly do not want to work on this anymore at the moment, but it is one piece i really like to revisit when i get a bit better, and perfect it. It was mostly done to be able to show that i can do stuff required for a junior position, and now my plan is on getting experience with interior/modular scenes, and then landscapes!

    I think i put my artstation in my signature but i cannot see it, so here is my link to see the finished project after some minor photoshop tweaking!
    https://www.artstation.com/lazarosinep
Sign In or Register to comment.