Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Boh's Room

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
GoldBlackWolf polycounter lvl 12
Hi, I am currently doing a Cel shader project. I am made Boh's Room from Spirited Away. I'm a little ahead and I could do with some tasty critique.

I have gone through a bunch of documentation and played around with a few alternative builds, Thura Oo and Ide have been quite helpful in their documentation so far. 

I'm a little off on proportions and textures, I got a bit too focused on the Shader. Anyways, here is my progress so far. 

Development stage one: Initial test of Cel Shader from Unreal 4 Documentation:

I then jumped a bit forward and started working with Thura Oo build for the shader:

I used my padding test to build a block out room and a few assets just to play with the Shader:

Built a book case again blocking out things. I tested the wall image using a screen grab seemed to help me work some of the scene out better:

Working on more on the scene building the ceiling a bit and a Pterodactyl: 

Started painting the mountains in Photoshop:

Pushed ahead again, lots of assets to create:

More assets being reused to block out the scene:

Worked some more on the shader and the scene. I never seem to find the time to make the missing clown, goat/ lamb or tiger the scene need, smh.
The final push of work has me at this point: 

So here is what I reckon I need to do:

1.     Provide an accurate transcription of the floor plan from the film’s perspective to the Game Engine.

2.     Improve the accuracy of the assets proportions in relations to the floor plan.

3.     Optimise the Assets triangle counts to improve Engine resource management.

4.     Lower the Texture resolution of the assets from 4096 to 1024 and 2048 respectively for non-heroic pieces or low visibility assets. 

5.     Based on the improve floor plan and more accurate proportioned assets reposition the main Rendering 35mm camera.

6.     Set the 35mm Camera to a wider aperture to allow for a similar wide angle to the Film’s own Cinematography.

I think If I would start it again I would Investigate brush techniques, colour palettes, noise and shading methods for the specific textures as a focus as well as the Cel shader for Unreal Engine 4 would more than likely yielded a high quality final product in comparison to the Film Still of Boh’s Room. 

Any thoughts or comments are always welcome :)

Replies

• Wrofir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrofir null
    Incredible, I really love where this one has went. Your latest render is very close to indistinguishable. You captured the color variation in all the shading, such as the purple on the drapes. Everything has that proper washed out look and it blends together. 
    Love It :D
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's kind of you to say, I am glad you like it. It is something I want to push further so when I have free time again, I shall do so :)
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few more assets added, some minor tweaks too

Still a WIP. I am currently playing with it using a HTC Vive in Unreal. Turns out Skylight cube maps are not best friends with VR. So that's currently off in this image, hence the odd little changes like the chair shading. But I did get a slightly closer looking washed out look on bookcase from it.