Home Technical Talk

Do you know any way to avoid 3ds Max to default continuously to move tool instead selection tool?

Altea
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Altea polycounter lvl 6
It is quite irritating as I don't want to move accidentally objects or sub objects when I want only select them
The problem arise that even when I have the selection tool when I swap to another , extend or step build, as soon I leave the mode pressing the same button or the Q button instead selection it becomes move. Quite annoying when I just have pressed Q, that is the selection tool.
This is only a example and the move tool keeps appearing when unwanted in other cases.
By the way the Q I use is the one that avoid the cycle between different selection modes.

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    afaik the only thing that happens if you press Q more then once is the drag selection method changes (rectangle marquee, lasso, paint, etc.), but that can be turned off by switching the hotkey to "Select Object".

That said, I haven't tried Max 2018 yet, so no idea if it's any different in that version.
  • Altea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Altea polycounter lvl 6
    Yes, I use "select object" instead the default one, another annoying default from MAX as swaps to unwanted selection modes.
    Anyway  I don't think this affects the tendency that has Max to "move tool" mode even if you choose "select object" Q when coming from other modes. This is MAX 2017 but I think 2018 is the same and older versions of MAX.

The second time you press Q then it goes to "select object" mode. It is as if the first click of Q when leaving other tools is only for canceling the other tool and going to default "move tool". And this even before you was using "select object" instead "move tool".
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Looks like PolyTools.ms in the install folder sets the move tool in line 3556. I commented it out, and it seems to return to the previous tool like Select, Rotate, or Scale.

You need to Run as Admin to edit the file, but I can't guarantee it won't break anything else.