Home Technical Talk

How can I bridge the top of a cylinder in 3DSMax?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
krasenmaximov polycounter lvl 7
Another problem occured. So I will just re- edit the discussion.
There's a hole in the center. I want to create a face. How can I do that? 

Replies

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Extrude by 0 and then move the faces downward.
  • krasenmaximov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    somedoggy said:
    Extrude by 0 and then move the faces downward.
       I just did it and it worked. So much for the morning angst and the discussion. HUGE thanks tho!
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Go to "border selection" (Default key 3), select one edge of the hole, all other should be selected automatically) and then click on "cap" in the Edit Rollout.
    This will fill the hole with a single n-gon. You can then go to vertex mode (default: 1) select the vertex and use connect to create 4-sided Polygons.

Another alternative would be to select the borders vie "border selection", then select "scale" and while Holding shift, scalling the borders together until all new vertex overlap in the middle. You then Switch to Vertex mode while keeping the selection (STRG +1) and hit the "weld" button.
  • krasenmaximov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling said:
    Go to "border selection" (Default key 3), select one edge of the hole, all other should be selected automatically) and then click on "cap" in the Edit Rollout.
    This will fill the hole with a single n-gon. You can then go to vertex mode (default: 1) select the vertex and use connect to create 4-sided Polygons.

Another alternative would be to select the borders vie "border selection", then select "scale" and while Holding shift, scalling the borders together until all new vertex overlap in the middle. You then Switch to Vertex mode while keeping the selection (STRG +1) and hit the "weld" button.
    Thats awesome. Thank you Dethling!
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Here's an extra technique that produces nice quads on certain amounts of segments that wasn't mentioned yet;

1) use the Border selection mode to select the open edge
    2) deselect two opposing edges
    3) hit the "Bridge" tool

• Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    @Millenia: This method can also be used, but I experienced some issues when creating high poly (sub-D) models from it. I normally prefer a "centerpoint-cap", even if this creates one additional vert and some more polys.