Home Technical Talk

Modeling plants for games : Which technique/tools to use ?

Hey hey hey,

I am very new to modeling (I literally just started haha) so I am trying to learn the basics.
I would like to be able to create some simple small plants like those : http://prntscr.com/gcxbh2 to put them in my first scene.

After doing some researches, I realised that a lot of 3D models of plants I find on websites like Sketchfab are actually created by using a technique called "photogrammetry". Apparently all you have to do is take in real life pictures from the plant you want to have in your scene and some sort of software turns your pictures into a 3D model (At least, it's what I understood from it). From what I saw the results are absolutly amazing!

Now that I know that I am starting to wonder if games with realistic plants like Pikmin are using this technique instead of modeling their plants ? (Here is a pic of a plant from the latest Pikmin game so you guys can see what I mean : 
http://prntscr.com/gcxeki )

So my question is : Knowing that I am a beginner, would it be better for me to learn how to actually model plants or can I use the photogrammetry technique ? Isn't it better to learn how to model plants the "normal way" first ?

And by the way, is Autodesk Maya a good tool to model plants ? Because I find it pretty hard to make "organic shapes" with Maya, so I don't know if it is a good idea to use it for modeling plants/rocks/animals/... If no, which tool should I use ? Something like Z brush maybe ??

Thanks for reading all of that haha, I hope someone will be able to answer my noob questions !

Replies

• TheLazyScarecrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really need some help with that, if someone could guide me a little bit I would be thankfull ><
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Normal way first,
    Yes Maya is a good tool to model plants, zBrush can be also good
    Keep in mind that you can use alpha to create this kind of geometry on card, depending on your game budget etc

gl !
  • TheLazyScarecrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Burpee Okay I will learn how to moel plants then :)
     I wanted to learn how to do that in Maya but, i don't know, in every plants Maya tutorial the flowers/leaves always look a bit geometric ;-; I tried it and I obtained the same geometric shapes so I thought that Zbrush would give me a "smoother" result?
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Well if you smooth your mesh you shouldn't have a geometric feeling, theses shape https://prnt.sc/gcxbh2
    are kinda easy to do in Maya, but if you're more comfortable with zBrush go with zBrush but my advice'd be to stay in Maya !

• Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Photogrametry is  great tool but it's not used everywhere, plus you don't have any control so if you need to do changes it can be hard.
    IMO it's better to learn how to model everything from scratch than using photogrametry,
    or be this guy : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/QJGgr
    gl !
  • Mark Dygert
  • TheLazyScarecrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Burpee Okay, thanks a lot for helping me ! I will try to do it in Maya first and post my result here :)
    I don't know much about Maya at the moment so that's probably why I have trouble creating "organic" shapes in this programm ><

And yea I've seen this motorcycle not long ago (I think I saw it on sketchfab ?) and it is AMAZING.

@Mark Dygert Yea I've heard about speedtree and I tried it but it feels a bit like cheating haha. I think I should learn how to do trees from scratch first and when I will be able to create my own trees I will use SpeeTree if I get lazy while doing a scene with a lot of trees :p 
    But can we use SpeedTree for small vegetation elements like grass/flowers/... ? Isn't it for trees and bushes only ? 
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    @Burpee Okay, thanks a lot for helping me ! I will try to do it in Maya first and post my result here :)
    I don't know much about Maya at the moment so that's probably why I have trouble creating "organic" shapes in this programm ><

And yea I've seen this motorcycle not long ago (I think I saw it on sketchfab ?) and it is AMAZING.

@Mark Dygert Yea I've heard about speedtree and I tried it but it feels a bit like cheating haha. I think I should learn how to do trees from scratch first and when I will be able to create my own trees I will use SpeeTree if I get lazy while doing a scene with a lot of trees :p 
    But can we use SpeedTree for small vegetation elements like grass/flowers/... ? Isn't it for trees and bushes only ? 
      Yep speedtree is more for big things. Only the result matter, who cares how you did it. In a big production you'll most likely have acces to speedtree or other crazy tools, but you should know how to do it yourself.