Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Aim is to show progress with modeling weapons (maybe others)

Leonvb
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Leonvb vertex
Hello everyone,

The aim is to show my progress in quality of my 3D models. But, I would still love some advice, tips and tricks from anyone.

So I followed a great weapon tutorial on Gumroad and this was my end result.

Then I tried to model the Glock 19 and it came out pretty awful, I have to admit. But, I am only modeling for 2 months now so I still think I made great progress.

I didn't apply a bump to a low poly, Just decided to show my "high poly". So there is a bunch of floating geometry everywhere.

Thanks if anyone can give me some advice. Or...rate my work...in some way. I don't know.
I would just appreciate some feedback!

Replies

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    aloha, could you post more shots of the first weapon, and some close ups. then also some wireframes. hard to critique from just one image .
  • Leonvb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leonvb vertex
    aloha, could you post more shots of the first weapon, and some close ups. then also some wireframes. hard to critique from just one image .
    I understand what you are saying. As I mentioned, for the first model I followed a tutorial, so it won't really be fair for me to show it off as my own work.

The goal of the post is to show and get some overall feedback on the first model that I have created by myself (Glock 19), then as I add on more weapons to the thread people can give me advice on where I can spend more time to improve.

Thank you for the reply!
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    Hi Leon!

On posting, you should show all aspects of the gun if you want proper crits. Where's the magazine? What does the back of the slide and frame look like? Chamber? Isometric views are a bad idea. Use perspective.
    You say this is the highpoly, but I don't see any subdivision going on. Without that I can't give you much crits without guessing how your mesh will smooth, as I don't know what your workflow is.

On the hole (hehe) this reads like a 19 so well done there, but on closer inspection there are a bunch of inaccuracies:
    The front and back of the rear sight should be angled (like the front sight, but different).
    The front and rear sights should be equally tall.
    The walls of the barrel are very thin.
    The frame looks like a mix of gen3 and gen4 which results in mismatching details (magazine release on left side)
    The front of the frame looks square but should be rounded
    The cuts for the attachment rail are missing.

On technique there's:
    Inconsistent loops at the back of the frame, and tiny triangles (with bonus leftover ngons) on curved surfaces) by the finger grooves will smooth badly.
    Very little geometry to nail down the shape of the frame above/behind the trigger.
    The pin hole you cut on the rear-back of the frame is so high in polycount that it destroyed the smoothing of the polygons you cut it into.
    The gen3 palm grip should be extruded out from the frame, and not be a groove that goes into the frame.
    The thumb inset in the frame has a bunch of triangles in the center that won't smooth correctly. Could be handled better with a quad mesh with less geometry that would flow better with the surrounding geometry.

Floater geometry is cancer. 
  • Leonvb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leonvb vertex
    @Thanez Sorry for such a delayed reply. Thank you for having a look at the model I appreciate it. I remodeled (in progress) the Glock. I took in consideration what you said and fixed the Front and Back sight, increased the thickness of the barrel walls and rounded the corners in the front of the frame. I am not sure what the attachment rails are, but I will figure it out.

I also tried to fix or better some of the "technique"(if you can call my workflow that :D ) Worked on the loops and added geometry to better define the shape of the weapon.

I am a bit stuck now as I am not sure how to solve the problem of the thumb indent.

So here is the model I am working on now. Smoothed.

Some obvious Artifacts? Pinching? I don't know the term...

Thanks for any advice and replies.
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    It's looking a bit weird, mate. I think the problem is that you tried doing every little bit at once. You should always start by nailing down the largest most obvious shapes. The details such as finger grooves, trigger and trigger housing can wait for later. 
    Also your trigger is very thin

• Leonvb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leonvb vertex
    Haha simple and direct answer, I love it. Thanks for the reply once again. Maybe this time I will just practice longer and then try to post again  :D